Join a team of dedicated scientists on our Dolphin Research Project in Namibia and enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute to marine research in a beautiful and remote environment.
By joining the team as an intern you will get the opportunity to gain in depth practical training in marine research techniques to study whales, dolphins and turtles. Working closely with principle investigators, interns will gain experience in:
- Taking photo-ID pictures
- Collecting behavioural data
- Data input
- Making acoustic recordings
- Shore based tracking of animals
- Attendance at whale and dolphin strandings
- Working with archived skeletal material
- Small boat skippering
Interns will also have the opportunity to join the community outreach programme, visiting local schools to increase marine awareness and education.
Your internship will begin with a period of training including lectures and practical excercises to make sure you are prepared for your stay. Each day on the project will be exciting and varied with interns up and ready to go by 6:30 to make the most of good weather. You will be split into teams rotating between office work, boat work and education work.
Interns can join the project for 1 to 2 month durations and we have places throughout 2015 available.
The cost to join for 1 month is £1,400. Your payment covers all your food, accommodation and training during the project. In addition, it goes towards the project cost of running the research project, going out at sea on the boat, fuel, vehicle cost, pickup/drop off from Walvis Bay airport, as well as WorkingAbroad Projects backup and placement support.
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1 to 2 month durations
- Teach in Cambodia
- Tibetan Teaching Programme
- Marine Conservation & Community...
- Nature's Valley Volunteer...
- Watamu Turtles, Keyna
- Volunteer to Teach in Costa Rica
- Shamwari Game Reserve,...
- Environmental Education and...
- Native Forest Volunteer Project,...
- Volunteer to Teach English in Laos
- Blue Lagoon & Coral Reef...
- Dolphin Research Volunteer, Greece
- Conservation Volunteers in...
- Volunteer with Elephants, Thailand
- Olive Ridley Sea Turtle...
- Pacific Sea Turtle Volunteer...
- White Wilderness Wolf Tracking,...
- Big Cat Sanctuary Volunteer...
- Ocean Research and Marine...
- Wildlife Conservation & San...