Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Falls are the leading cause of hospitalization for older adults ages 60 and older. The JFS Fix-It Service aims to make older adult homes safe against falls and allow them to remain safely in their own homes longer. Dedicated volunteers provide free minor home-safety repairs and modifications for older adults. Volunteers play a significant role in helping older adults maintain their independence and remain safely in their homes. All repairs are made at no cost to clients.
Goal of Position:
To provide minor home repairs and safety modifications to improve the safety and quality of life for low-income older adults and their caregiver while learning basic repair skills from a Fix-It Mentor.
* Make a positive impact on someone’s life by increasing their comfort, safety and security in their home
* Gain home repair skills from a Fix-It Mentor
* Respond to email or phone job requests from coordinator
* Contact Client within 48 hours of accepting job to set up date and time for repair
* Pick up materials for the job from the coordinator
* Provide basic safety inspection of home and provide education/suggestions for any concerns observed
* Projects may include installing smoke detectors and door alarms, replacing showerheads, installing shower chairs, repairing windows, installing grab-bars and more!
* Complete and return mandatory reports and receipts (if applicable) to the coordinator within 24 hours of completing the job
* Provide basic home safety inspection and provide education/suggestions for any concerns observed
* Complete and return mandatory reports and receipts (if applicable) to the coordinator within 24 hours of the job
* Must be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with older adults
* Must have experience in minor home repair/modification work
* Must have reliable means of communication
* Must possess your own basic tool set
* Must have excellent communication skills
* Must have your own transportation
* Provide a minimum of one repair per quarter (3 months)
1. Possess your own vehicle
2. Have valid insurance coverage
3. Have a current CA driver’s license
4. Must be at least 18 years old
5. Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
6. Must be willing to travel to program service areas
7. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
8. Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Engagement staff
Requests for repair jobs come to the coordinator Monday through Friday. Volunteers can schedule the repairs at a convenient time for themselves and the client. Repairs can take up to one hour depending on the job, however hours will
vary depending on the job. Service areas include North Central, Central, East, and South San Diego County. Volunteers are asked to make a minimum thee month commitment with one repair per quarter.
JFS Fix-It Service is located at: Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
JFS Fix-It Service Coordinator
- Elder care
- Home Repair
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 month commitment
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Software Trainer
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...