Program: Falls are the leading cause of hospitalization for older adults ages 60 and older. The JFS Fix-It Service aims to make older adult homes safe against falls and allows them to remain in their own homes longer. Dedicated volunteers provide free minor home-safety repairs and modifications for older adults. Volunteers play a significant role in helping older adults maintain their independence and remain safely in their homes. All repairs are made at no cost to clients.
Goal of Position:
To provide minor home repairs and safety modifications to improve the safety and quality of life for low-income older adults and their caregiver while learning basic repair skills from a Fix-It Mentor.
* Make a positive impact in an older adult’s life by increasing their comfort, safety and security in their home
* Gain home repair skills from a Fix-It Mentor
* Respond to email or phone job requests from coordinator
* Pick up materials for the job from the coordinator
* Make minor home repairs
* Projects may include installing smoke detectors and door alarms, replacing showerheads, installing shower chairs, repairing windows, installing grab-bars and more!
* Provide basic home safety inspection and provide education/suggestions for any concerns observed
* Complete and return mandatory reports and receipts (if applicable) to the coordinator within 24 hours of the job
* Must be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with older adults
* Must have reliable means of communication
* NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
* Must have excellent communication skills
* Must have your own transportation
* Provide a minimum of one repair per quarter (3 months)
1. Possess your own vehicle
2. Have valid insurance coverage
3. Have a current CA driver’s license
4. Must be at least 18 years old
5. Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
6. Must be willing to travel to program service areas
7. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
8. Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Engagement staff
Volunteers can schedule the repairs at a convenient time for themselves and the client. Repairs average 1 hour but can take longer depending on the job. Service areas include Central, East, and South San Diego County. Volunteers are asked to make a minimum three month commitment with one repair per quarter (3 Months).
Immediate Supervisor: JFS Fix-It Service Coordinator
- Elder care
- Home Repair
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 3 month commitment, at least 1 repair/ quarter
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Cyber Cafe: Volunteer with Older...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant