White Pony Express (WPE) is seeking additional volunteers in order to expand its reach and serve more people in need within Contra Costa County. We currently are recruiting volunteer drivers - runners - to help pick up and deliver food. As a regular runner you will pick up food from various donors and deliver the food directly to recipient organizations. Many runners consider these deliveries the highlight of their week. Join us for this rewarding work and help us achieve our goal of ending hunger in the East Bay!
We operate seven days a week, fifteen hours per day. Regular runners sign up for a minimum of three to four hour shifts once a week (or every other week). Shifts may be adjusted to meet your specific needs and schedule, though our most common shifts are:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Volunteers who join the White Pony Express as regular runners are expected to:
- Be near their phone and available to make a pickup and delivery at any point during their shifts
- Download updated White Pony Express materials before making a run
- Actively monitor their email accounts and the WPE website for new runner information and directives
- Act cheerfully and respectfully towards donors, recipients, and other volunteers
- Volunteer on a regular, weekly or bi-weekly basis (subs are available to cover for runners due to illness, vacation, medical appointments, etc.)
White Pony Express regular runners work closely with our coordinators and "dispatchers" who will provide all the necessary details to make a pick-up and/or delivery. Runners may deliver food in pairs or independently.
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING
Volunteers receive a 45 minute in-person information and training session at our distribution center. New runners shadow an experienced volunteer on their first couple of runs, or until they are comfortable making solo deliveries.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- At least one 3 to 4 hour shift each week
- Must have valid drivers’ license and Limited Liability insurance
- Must have acces