Critter Adoption & Rescue Effort Inc
Purpose: To ensure dogs housed in the kennels are in a clean, humane environment and to provide necessary care while they are in the shelter.
- Clean kennels to maintain sanitation and health of the animals
- Assist other volunteers with kennel duties such as cleaning kennels, bowls, supplies, windows, floors, doing laundry and any other duties assigned
- Ensure dogs have water and poop-free outside kennels during the day
- Will provide all C.A.R.E. dogs with a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise each day, which provides the physical and mental stimulation they need and an opportunity to reinforce basic training.
- Will supervise a dog while it runs freely in our shelter yards.
- Will teach dogs how to play fetch, to respond to a few basic commands such as "sit" and "come," and to walk on a leash.
- Must be consistent in their use of teaching basic obedience skills.
- Become familiar with each dog’s traits, behaviors and personalities; and observe their physical and psychological behavior, health and well-being.
- Be very observant of each dog’s behavior and general health (symptoms of illness such as runny nose, swellings, cuts or loose stool), listlessness, agitation, aggressive or unusual behaviors, etc. and report any concerns to the Animal Care Manager ASAP.
- Greet all visitors to the area and direct visitors to appropriate area or to staff or volunteers in other areas of the shelter
- Help with customer questions and handling of animals
- Present adoptable dogs to the public with the goal of helping each of our animals to secure a new home. (Must be a minimum of 18 years old).
- Explain the shelter’s adoption policies
- Show adoptable animals to the public
- Help the public to choose an animal that is a good match to their lifestyles and abilities
- Assess a person’s ability to care for a particular pet (this assessment should be reported to the Animal Care Manager before the final decision is made)
- Explain application process
- If interested in adoption, have office staff assist with the application process
- Ability and desire to understand and learn proper dog handling techniques
- Good communication and listening skills
- Willingness to maintain sanitation of animal areas
- Ability to work independently
- Must have patience with and understanding of dogs and their behavior
- Adhere to all rules and standards set forth by C.A.R.E.
- Knowledge of C.A.R.E. shelter adoption policies and procedures
- Volunteer Orientation
- Read and understand the Volunteer Handbook and Dog Handling Guidelines
- Complete on-the-job training from experienced kennel volunteers
About Critter Adoption & Rescue Effort Inc
1528 27th St SE, Ruskin, FL 33570, US
C.A.R.E. is a 501 (c)3 public charity; a no-kill animal shelter for neglected, abused and unwanted cats and dogs with a mission to reduce the number of homeless and abandoned animals through adoption, sterilization and education.
Most of the animals that come to CARE need just a few weeks of special care before they are ready for adoption to a good home. Others, who are older or sick or have suffered extreme trauma, become CARE ambassadors and find a special home at CARE for the rest of their lives.