Breathe California Sacramento Region's Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down! Research Project
58 people are interested
We are looking for students ages 14-22 who love watching movies and have a passion for tobacco prevention!
Become a Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down! movie reviewer while we still have spots available. Reviewers receive training, attend one meeting per month, and get to see at least one movie a month for FREE, all while earning community service hours!
- Be between the ages of 14-22
- Attend one initial 1-2 hour training session
- Provide own transportation to and from TUTD meetings (usually held on the 2nd Monday of each month from 4pm-5pm at Breathe’s downtown Sacramento office at 909 12th Street)
- Have access to an email account
- Represent the organization as a non-smoker
Carry out an analysis of tobacco depiction in movies:
- Review movies for tobacco content and perceptions using the TUTD methodology
- Attend and participate in monthly meetings held throughout each school year
- Complete review sheets and provide movie tobacco summary by target date given
- Promptly communicate with staff via email as necessary
- Recruit friends, family, and classmates to participate in TUTD
Raise awareness among young people about tobacco use in the media and inoculate your peers against pro-tobacco messages:
- Share information learned through TUTD with friends, family, and classmates
- When able, present TUTD information to other organizations and groups
- Serve as spokespersons for TUTD and the organization (after receiving special training from staff)
- Earn community service hours
- Earn letters of recommendation for scholarships and college admission
Our next reviewer training/orientation meeting will be held on Monday, March 4th, 2019, from 4-5 pm! Training meetings are held at our downtown office located at 909 12th Street, Sacramento, 95814. Applications can be downloaded at www.sacbreathe.org/tutd.
For more information about this project or our next training, contact Danielle Driscoll at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
909 12th StreetSuite 100Sacramento, CA 95814
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 4-10 hrs/month
- Be between the ages of 14-22. Attend one initial 2 hour training session.