117 people are interested
Breathe California Sacramento Region's Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down! Research Project
117 people are interested
We are looking for students ages 14-22 who love watching movies and have a passion for tobacco prevention!
Become a Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down! movie reviewer while we still have spots available. Reviewers receive training, attend one meeting per month, and get to see at least one movie a month for FREE, all while earning community service hours!
- Be between the ages of 14-22
- Attend one initial 1-2 hour training session
- Attend monthly meetings and sign up for movies via Zoom (movies will be reviewed from home until further notice)
- Have access to an email account
- Represent the organization as a non-smoker
Carry out an analysis of tobacco depiction in movies:
- Review movies for tobacco content and perceptions using the TUTD methodology
- Attend and participate in monthly meetings held throughout each school year
- Complete review sheets and provide movie tobacco summary by target date given
- Promptly communicate with staff via email as necessary
- Recruit friends, family, and classmates to participate in TUTD
Raise awareness among young people about tobacco use in the media and inoculate your peers against pro-tobacco messages:
- Share information learned through TUTD with friends, family, and classmates
- When able, present TUTD information to other organizations and groups
- Serve as spokespersons for TUTD and the organization (after receiving special training from staff)
- Earn community service hours
- Earn letters of recommendation for scholarships and college admission
- Chance to win a raffle prize at the end of each meeting!
Reach out for an application, and to schedule a virtual training!
Training meetings are usually held at our downtown office located at 909 12th Street, Sacramento, 95814, but due to COVID-19, all trainings and meetings are currently being held remotely.
For more information about this project or our next training, contact Danielle Driscoll at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Breathe California Sacramento Region
909 12TH STREET, SACRAMENTO, CA 95814, US
Breathe California Sacramento Region is committed to the fight for clean air, healthy lungs, and a tobacco-free future in Northern California.
Founded in 1917 as the Sacramento County Tuberculosis Association, the organization that is now Breathe California Sacramento Region serves 28 counties in Northern California. Though our focus is local, Breathe has a national reputation for breaking new ground and seeking original solutions to cleaning the air and improving lung health.
909 12th StreetSacramento, CA 95814
September 15, 2021
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 4-10 hrs/month
- Be between the ages of 14-22. Attend one initial 2 hour training session.