We are looking for students age 14-22 who like watching movies and have a passion for tobacco prevention.
Become a Thumbs Up! Thumbs Down! Movie Reviewer while we still have spots available. Reviewers receive training, attend one meeting per month and get to see at least one movie a month for FREE, all while earning community service hours.
- Be between the ages of 14-22
- Attend one initial 1-2 hour training session
- Provide own transportation to and from TUTD meetings (usually held on the 2nd Monday of each month from 4pm-5pm at Breathe’s downtown Sacramento office)
- Have access to an email account
- Represent the organization as a non-smoker
Carry out an analysis of tobacco depiction in movies
- Review movies for tobacco content and perceptions using the TUTD methodology
- Attend and participate in monthly meetings held year round
- Complete review sheets and provide movie tobacco summary by target date given
- Promptly communicate with staff via email as necessary
- Recruit friend, family, and classmates to participate in TUTD
Raise the level of awareness of young people about tobacco use and inoculate against pro-tobacco messages found in the media
- Participate in the ceremony at the annual Breathe Youth Media Awards
- Share information learned through TUTD with friends, family, and classmates
- When able, present TUTD information to other organizations and groups
- Serve as spokespersons for TUTD and the organization (after receiving special training from communications staff)
- Earn community service hours
- Earn letters of recommendation for scholarships and college admission
Our next reviewer training is on April 12th, from 4-6pm, at our office located at 909 12th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. Applications can be downloaded at www.sacbreathe.org/tutd.
For more information about this project or the training, contact Claire Garcia at (916) 444-5900 ext. 218 or email email@example.com.
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 4-10 hrs/month
- Be between the ages of 14-22. Attend one initial 1-2 hour training session.