To support cancer patients undergoing hair loss, the American Cancer Society provides free, new wigs through a variety of Wig Banks at American Cancer Society Offices and health care facilities. There are two roles for wig bank volunteers, both of which improve the quality of life of cancer patients experiencing hair loss.
Wig bank volunteers do any or all of the following:
- Wig bank volunteers assure a positive environment in which patients can find ways to manage hair loss related to their treatment
- Wig bank volunteers make themselves available at least 1-2 days a week for 3 hour time slots to conduct wig fitting appointments
- Volunteers are trained to assist patients in selecting wigs according to their preferences and the current supply of wigs
- Volunteers share wig care information with patients
- Provide information about other resources for patients and caregivers in the community, and alert staff when patients require additional follow up
- At locations where head wraps, scarves, and hats are available, these gift items can also be provided. Select wig banks also offer temporary breast prosthetics (puffs).
Managing Wig Inventory:
- Maintain wig inventory information to determine ordering needs
How can I learn more about volunteering at a Society wig bank?
- Call 1-800-227-2345 to inquire about volunteer opportunities with the Society
Other Resources to support women dealing the appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment:
- "TLC": A magazine and catalog in one, "tlc" supports women dealing with hair loss and other physical effects of cancer treatment. The magalog offers a wide variety of affordable products, such as wigs, hats, and prostheses, though the privacy and convenience of mail order
- Look Good Feel Better: Though this service, women in active cancer treatment learn techniques to restore their self-image and cope with appearance-related side effects. Certified beauty professionals provide tips on makeup, skin care, nail care, and heard coverings.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training