The need for veterans' transportation is growing rapidly due to an increase in injury rates five time greater than in the Vietnam War, often prohibiting the ability to drive, and the aging of veterans from previous service eras who can no longer drive.
Trained Veteran Volunteers will help veterans learn about and use various transit options to get where they want to go and to safely use public transportation with ease and confidence. They will organize and lead group trips on public transit to places of interest to their clients, to reinforce the training. Volunteers may also visit veterans' centers, meetings, VA medical and congregate living facilities to encourage other veterans to take advantage of this free time.
* Be at least 18 years of age, mature and responsible
* Complete a comprehensive training program in planning trips and teaching others how to ride public transit
* Commit to volunteer for at least six months
* Pass a background check and have proof of Honorable Service
* Attend at least 3 quarterly meetings (as part of volunteer hours) with fellow volunteers
* Have an active email account
* Successful Veteran Volunteers are:
* Experienced with or willing to learn about using various forms of public transportation
* Enthusiastic about helping others maintain or increase their mobility
* Able to work patiently and respectfully with veterans of all ages and veterans with disabilities
* Self-directed and able to work independently
* In possession of good problem-solving and communication skills
* Seeking leadership opportunities to help veterans
Benefits to Veterans Mobility Corps Volunteers:
* Pride in knowing they have helped fellow veterans stay mobile and connected to their communities
* Ongoing in-service training and support; flexible training and volunteer schedules
* Networking opportunities where new relationships and collaborations can be cultivated
* Up-to-date toolkit with information about county and surrounding transit services
* Honored at volunteer recognition events
* Free monthly SamTrans pass
- People Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Habitat For Humanity Greater SF...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul -...
- Samaritan House - Administration...
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer -...
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Nutrition
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels - Various...
- Peninsula Family Service - 70...
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...