Los Ayudantes provides in-class tutoring support to middle school students in the Redwood City School District at McKinley Institute of Technology Middle School and Kennedy Middle School under the direction of the classroom teacher. We work primarily with the literacy teachers providing reading support, helping students develop writing skills, and build critical thinking skills as they work on in-class assignments.
We are currently looking for tutors 1-2 hours a week at the following locations and times:
1) At McKinley Institute of Technology during 6th, 7th, and 8th grade literacy reading blocks. You can volunteer on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday from 10:12 to 11:07. Thursdays are off.
2) At Kennedy Middle School you can volunteer on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.
- 6th Grade literacy block: 10:37-11:33 on MTWF, Thursdays 10:13-10:57
- 7th/8th English Learners Class: 11:36 - 12:32 on MTWF, Thursdays 11:00-11:4
One hour a week is wonderful, but two or more is even better!
Tutors who enjoy working with adolescents and feel comfortable working with a variety of reading, writing and critical thinking strategies are most likely to enjoy this work. Instructions are provided at the beginning of a class session by the teachers on the volunteer's assignment for the day. Typically the work includes helping the kids read aloud from their Newslela articles or assigned reading and asking questions to help the kids think critically about the passages they're reading.
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week
- fluent English, enjoy working with middle schoolers, enjoy variety