Volunteer ESL Tutor for Refugee Adult Learners
56 people are interested
VELT (Vocational & English Language Trainings) Tutoring Program provides a comfortable place for adult refugees to learn and practice English language skills so they can gain confidence and participate more fully in their ESL classes and in their community. Tutees receive supplementary assistance in a one-on-one or small group setting for improving their basic reading, writing, and speaking skills.
VELT tutoring program takes place Monday - Thursday mornings at our 4419 Ravenswood site. Volunteer tutors work with their tutees twice a week. The length of each tutoring session can be 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on tutees’ comfort.
Tutors will receive the ESL tutoring training prior to the first tutoring session.
- Meet with students twice a week for 30-60 minutes (Mon-Thu mornings)
- Create & adjust tutoring plans
- Keep participant’s attendance
- Complete Tutoring Log after each session
- Maintain Student Portfolio
- Communicate with the Tutor Coordinator to convey their needs/concerns
- Patience and willingness to work closely with students with limited English/literacy skills. Values supportive learning environment
- Creativity and willingness to use a variety of methods to promote conversation.
- Sensitivity to differences in culture. Ability to communicate with students of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Commitment to tutoring for at least 3 months (one class quarter)
Tutoring will help:
- Expand your experience of direct service with English language learners
- Achieve broader understanding toward refugee adults in your community
Contact: If you are interested in becoming a volunteer tutor, please contact Hai Minh Nguyen. Thank you!
Hai Minh Nguyen (Vocational English Language Trainings Coordinator)
About Heartland Human Care Services - A Company of Heartland Alliance
4411 N. Ravenswood and 5715 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL 60640, US
To acheive freedom from want, fear, and injustice for people marginalized by poverty, displacement, or situations of vulnerability by developing and providing a continuum of services that meet basic needs, build strengths, safeguard human rights, and provide opportunities for positive change.
Heartland Human Care Services (HHCS) is the human services partner of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a servicebased human rights organization that provides material assistance to meet basic human needs and other services and advocacy that foster empowerment, societal participation, and self-sufficiency. HHCS delivers a variety of services to newly-arrived refugees, asylees and immigrants through its Refugee & Immigrant Community Services (RICS). RICS is comprised of a dedicated, multi-lingual and multi-cultural staff with diverse backgrounds and expertise in the refugee and immigrant fields.
We'll work with your schedule.
4419 N. RavenswoodChicago, IL 60640
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Orientation or Training
- Twice a week (Mon-Thu A.M.) for at least 3 months.