76 people are interested
Volunteer ESL Tutor Inside Online Classroom (Remote)
76 people are interested
Volunteer ESL Tutor (1on1 - inside online class/following teacher’s curriculum)
YOU MUST BE AN ILLINOIS RESIDENT IN ORDER TO APPLY!
Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights is a service-based, human rights organization that provides housing, health care, human services, and human rights protections to the most poor and vulnerable people in our society, and uses its 118 years of experience to advocate for social justice.
Heartland Human Care Services' (HHCS) Adult Volunteer Literacy (AVL) Project provides English as a Second Language instruction, emphasizing language fluency and competencies that are relevant to the daily lives of the adult students served. The AVL project is an essential component of HHCS' Refugee and Immigrant Community Services (RICS) department.
ESL classes are held online and taught via Zoom. Volunteers ESL Tutors (1on1 inside class) provide in-classroom support via breakout rooms and/or 1on1 instruction for adult learners.
RICS is currently seeking Volunteer ESL Tutor for supporting English Language Learners 1 on 1 inside online classroom.
- Volunteer ESL Tutors work in a classroom for 1-2 hours, one or more days a week for a minimum of 6 months. Volunteers can choose a time block from the following schedule:
Monday to Friday: 9:00am-11:30am
Monday to Thursday: 1:00-3:00pm, 4:00-6:00pm, or 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Volunteer ESL Tutors collaborate with lead teachers before/after class for a total of 1 hour a week (e.g. discuss lesson plans) if needed
- Supporting individual English Language Learners (ELLs) during class on Zoom.
- Maintaining and submitting records of tutoring hours.
- Depending on the lead teacher, you might be asked to review the lesson plans and check in with them before class with any questions.
Lead teachers will provide materials 24 hours in advance
(If volunteers are interested in developing plans and bringing in materials for their tutoring session, they are always welcome to coordinate this with the lead teacher.)
- Informing the lead teacher 24 hours in advance if they will not be able to tutor
- Conducting 1on1 activities in breakout rooms, depending on the lesson plans and needs of the students in attendance. You may be asked to work with a student:
who has a specific goal (e.g. practice Civics questions for Citizenship interview or mock job interviews)
who is more advanced than their class level
who is quiet or less participatory in a large class
who has been absent from class
on other assigned tasks as needed
- Computer proficiency and/or willingness to use apps like Zoom, Google Classroom, Kami, or other online learning tools
- Must have reliable internet connection
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Patience and flexibility in a busy and dynamic environment that often changes at the last minute
- Interest in working with immigrants in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-ethnic environment
- Some experience with ESL tutoring is helpful
- Language proficiency in Spanish, Ukrainian, Russian, Arabic, or Burmese is helpful, but not required
About Heartland Human Care Services - A Company of Heartland Alliance
4411 N. Ravenswood and 5715 W. Belmont, Chicago, IL 60640, US
To achieve freedom from want, fear, and injustice for people marginalized by poverty, displacement, or situations of vulnerability by developing and providing a continuum of services that meet basic needs, build strengths, safeguard human rights, and provide opportunities for positive change.
Heartland Human Care Services (HHCS) is the human services partner of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a servicebased human rights organization that provides material assistance to meet basic human needs and other services and advocacy that foster empowerment, societal participation, and self-sufficiency. HHCS delivers a variety of services to newly-arrived refugees, asylees and immigrants through its Refugee & Immigrant Community Services (RICS). RICS is comprised of a dedicated, multi-lingual and multi-cultural staff with diverse backgrounds and expertise in the refugee and immigrant fields.
4419 N. RavenswoodChicago, IL 60640
October 15, 2021
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours, one or more days a week for a minimum of 6 months.
- YOU MUST BE AN ILLINOIS RESIDENT IN ORDER TO APPLY!