Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Hui o Ko’olaupoko at the upcoming Garden workdays. Below are some details about the events and you can find much more information and pictures on our website or by clicking the blue project titles.
HOK and committed volunteers will rotate between the Kaha Native Plant Garden, & Windward Community College Rain Garden projects on a quarterly basis to help maintain these native gardens in urban Kailua and Kaneohe while learning about native Hawaiian plants and local watershed issues.
Upcoming workdays for 2017 are:
Windward Community College Rain Garden: This project 3,000 square feet of rain gardens and native vegetation in front of Hale 'Imiloa. Rain Gardens are designed to capture storm water run-off from impervious surfaces like roofs, roads and parking lots. The rain garden trap and infiltrate the storm water run-off before it has a chance to carry pollutants into nearby streams and bays.
- Saturday January 14, 9am-12pm
- Saturday April 8, 9am-12pm
- Located at Windward Community College, Hale Imiloa Building (45-720 Keaahala Rd, Kaneohe)
Volunteers at both sites will be involved in clearing invasive plant species from the gardens using small hand tools and hand pulling weeds as we work to open areas for re-introduction of native plants.
- Please wear close-toe shoes and work clothes that they don't mind getting wet and dirty,
- Bring a water bottle, snack, sun protection and bug repellant. All tools & gloves will be provided.
- Participants under age 16 must have adult supervision.
- Participants under the age of 18, attending without their parent or legal guardian must bring the signed waiver.
- Our community workdays and volunteer events happen rain or shine! In the rare event that we would need to cancel a workday due to unsafe weather conditions, we will update our Facebook Page with the event status no later than one hour prior the scheduled start time.
- We offer a variety of regularly scheduled events each month and we can work with groups to arrange a private weekday service trip or educational visit.
The best way see what events we have coming up and which would be the best fit for you is by visiting the Get Involved page on our website and signing up to receive our monthly newsletter.
Feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any additional questions. I look forward to working with you.
- Environmental Education
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 10