OrchKids is searching for Instrumental, Resource, and Project-Based Volunteers to help support ensemble rehearsals, group lessons, homework/meal time, and other general program activities during the school year.
OrchKids is a year-round, during and after school music program designed to create social change and nurture promising futures for youth in Baltimore City neighborhoods. Under the artistic leadership and direction of Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's Music Director Marin Alsop, OrchKids is the cornerstone of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's efforts to expand their relevance within the broad and diverse Baltimore community. In collaboration with several community partners, including Baltimore City Public Schools, OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic instruction, meals, as well as performance and mentorship opportunities at no cost. OrchKids is inspired by Venezuela's El Sistema, the music program that has transformed the lives of hundreds of thousands of children in the country's most impoverished areas. Currently OrchKids works with five public schools in Baltimore City, serving over 1000 children from Pre-K through the 12th grade.
- Lockerman Bundy Elementary School
- Mary Ann Winterling Elementary School
- Highlandtown Elementary/Middle School
- Booker T Washington Middle School for the Arts
- Patterson Park Public Charter School
- Margaret Brent Elementary/Middle Charter School
- Child Development
- Wind Instrument
- Brass Instrument
- Music Arts
- String Instrument
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Weekdays; Availability between 2:25-8 pm
- Musical background preferred, but not necessary. We CAN tailor a schedule to suit your availability.