Social Media Volunteer
Reports To: Social Media Coordinator
Location: 3526 W Beverly Blvd. Montebello, CA 90640
Job Type: Volunteer, Unpaid, 2 days a week
Term: 2-6 months (dependent on individual)
Start Date: Ongoing
Designated Exceptional Services for Independence began its mission over 20 years ago to support the needs of the developmental disabled population who have not been offered the same opportunities as their non-disabled peers. Designated Exceptional Services for Independence (DESI) is an organization that bridges the gaps to help promote a comprehensive understanding of what it is like to have a developmental disability, as well as any adversities that are encountered due to a disability.
At DESI, our main priority is to provide support services and programs which will assist individuals in achieving their ideal standard of community living and seeking independence. The development of those skills are achieved through our programs such as Community Integration Training, Supported Living Skills and Independent Living Skills, and Supported Employment.
Job Description: Do you tweet and use Facebook every day? Is building a social community so ingrained you just can’t stop? We seek a highly motivated individual with experience using key social media outlets and fanatical passion for blogging, micro-blogging, and community participation. The Social Media Volunteer will help DESI grow its presence on Internet based social networks by engaging our members and key stakeholders through campaigns, community activism, and increasing awareness. The social media volunteer will assist the Social Media Coordinator in developing and implementing a social media strategy to increase overall reach and brand awareness. He/she will use social media outlets to promote active DESI events, engage the public and increase online presence.
- Identify key online channels for DESI to establish a presence on Internet based social communities (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, etc.)
- Develop and launch social media campaigns
- Assist the Social Media Coordinator in developing and implementing a social media strategy to increase awareness
- Monitor activity and user interactions for all social media outlets
- Post regular updates to DESI’s social media channels, including news articles, blog posts, press releases, fundraising appeals, and any other promotional items.
Skills/ Qualifications/ Experience
- Experience using key social media outlets
- Strong writing and editing skills, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to use online tools to engage members, donors, and corporate partners
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and creative
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, possess functional knowledge or some experience with HTML/CSS
- Ability to multitask while meeting deadlines
- This position provides valuable experience for Communications, Public Relations, Media; individuals with an interest in gaining experience in the non-profit sector; and anyone with a passion to help individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Networking possibilities with professionals within your field
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Eligible for college credits
If interested: Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and type Social Media volunteer in the subject line. For more information about DESI, please visit our website www.desiserve.org
- Social Media / Blogging
- Public Relations
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Graphic Design / Print
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 times a week (Flexible Scheduling)