Second Harvest Food Bank's Kids NOW Program meets the needs of hungry children and families by providing them with free, nutritious, and easy-to-prepare food to take home on weekends and over school vacations when other resources such as free or reduced-cost school lunches are not available. The Kids NOW Program has been in operation since 2007. Program Description Every Friday or Thursday afternoon as they are leaving their after school programs, children ages 3-18 receive an assortment of 8-10 food items to take home. Items include fresh fruit, granola bars, cereal, pasta, and soup. While the items vary from week to week, all are healthy. The Food Bank is committed to providing items with high nutritional value to this vulnerable population. The food is provided to the children in discreet plastic bags that are easy for them to carry. The bags are distributed to all children who participate in the after school program, thus avoiding the stigma of the haves and the have-nots. The Food Bank also uses the bags as a vehicle for communication with the families who participate in the program, promoting healthy eating through the distribution of nutrition education information. Food Bank staff nutritionists distribute materials aimed at educating children and families about healthy eating behaviors. In addition, we include information about other available food resources, including the Food Bank's Food Connection hot-line number. The Food Bank currently delivers food every week throughout the year as long as the partner site is open. Location: Mater Dolorosa school site. Time Commitment: Flexible.
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Need several volunteers who are bilingual in Spanish.
- Homework Assistant and Tutor -...
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Family Harvest - Second Harvest...
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- California Highway Patrol...
- Brown Bag Program - Second...
- Medicare Counselor - HICAP
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Life Skills Workshop Instructor...
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Peer Counselor -...
- Senior Nutrition
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information