The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is a free and confidential service that maintains and improves the quality of life for residents in long-term facilities in San Mateo County.Long-term Care OmbudsmanDescription: Ombudsman are trained and state-certified to objectively investigate and resolve problems on behalf of the residents in long-term facilities.1. Provide advocacy services to protect the health, safety, welfare, rights and quality of life of residents in the long-term facilities to which assigned.2. Receive, investigate and resolve complaints of residents, utilizing appropriate investigation and problem solving methods.3. Comply with all federal and state requirements and local program procedures.4. Function cooperatively as a team member, under staff supervision, keeping your immediate supervisor apprised at all times of situations developing in assigned facilities.5. Conduct in-service training for facility staff on an as need basis.6. Be available to attend resident and/or family councils when invited.7. Witness Advance Directives for Health Care for residents in nursing facilities.8. Participate in licensing survey/inspection process as directed by supervisor.State-mandated training necessary; 38 hours of classroom training, followed by an internship in the field of not less than 30 days, prior to request for state certification. Job Location: In the long-term facilities in San Mateo County; assignments are usually close to the ombudsman's home. Work requirement: Require a commitment of 5 hrs per week over 2 years. Must have a car or transportation to get to and from facilities and monthly meeting. Reimbursement of $0.56/mile when volunteer requirements are met.
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Require a commitment of 5 hrs per week over 2 years.
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Shopping Assistance for the...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...