YSI's Summer Science Camp (SSC) Volunteer Program
Volunteers will take initiative in various ways to help camp be a success. The two main duties of volunteers (depending on the shift selected) will be either strategically helping instructors assemble materials and activities for their camps, and/or helping with end of the day camp take-down.
Our 2017 SSC Summer Program provides volunteers with optional growth opportunities. Here is a sneak peak:
- Volunteer enrichment - Volunteers can choose to learn about natural history, participate on guided nature walks, animal meet & greets, etc. for 30 minutes after their SSC shift.
- Volunteer Lead opportunities - Every week, an individual will be selected to act as a Lead for their team. Leads will work with YSI’s volunteer coordinator to foster leadership skills and strategies.
- **Newest ** Shutterbug program - A team of volunteers work together to capture the camp experience with YSI’s camera in fun and creative ways.
- The Youth Science Institute's Science Summer Camp ( SSC) volunteers are responsible for helping with camp preparation. SSC Volunteers do not work directly with children in camps.
- Camps run weekly from June to the first week of August.
- Volunteers must commit to work three (3) camp weeks (do not have to be consecutive) - shifts are two hours/day.
- Volunteers must submit required paperwork, participate in an interview, and attend an orientation in May (3 dates to choose from)
** Who would excel in this service opportunity: **
- Those looking to improve leadership skills. - Volunteers have the option of applying to be a "Volunteer Lead," where they work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to identify and improve leadership skills.
- Those who want to channel their creativity and critical thinking skills. - Volunteers are given tasks, and the autonomy to complete them in various ways. Those who enjoy thinking "outside the box" are encouraged to apply!
- Those thinking of becoming a teacher. - This is a great way to gain experience in learning what happens "behind the scenes" of a class and camp.
- Those who enjoy completing tasks. - If you like making lists and checking off the tasks you finish - this is definitely or you! There is nothing more gratifying than knowing your hard work is completed and appreciated.
We hope to see you this summer!
Please contact Sarah Lofgren for questions and/or more information:
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Environmental Education
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 3 weeks during summer. Monday-Friday
- 3 required forms, orientation, interview, and a positive attitude!