Simpson Middle School Mentoring Program
Building on the inherent potential of our young people through exploration, connection, and support.
Mentors are matched one-to-one with a 5th to 8th grade student and commit to meeting weekly (approximatley 3 visits/month throughout the year.) As a mentor you will plan activities with your mentee ranging from going out for ice cream to volunteering together. Free/discounted tickets to community events and activities are provided. Group outings or trainings will be offered approximately every other month.
The mentoring program builds on the inherent potential of our youth through three key areas; exploration, connection, and support.Mentors and mentees are supported by SHS for 1 year with regular monitoring and supervision, group and individual offerings, and trainings. Informal mentoring may occur beyond the year if all parties (parent/guardian, mentor, and mentee) wish to continue the relationship.
- Youth Services
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Relationship Building
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Meet with mentee once per week for 1 year
- SHS is committed to building a diverse, committed group of mentors for our young people.
- Shelter Support Volunteer
- Diaper Drive A-Go-Go!
- Welcome Home Basket Provider
- Morning Rush Coffee Drive
- Lunch Provider for Shelter Guests
- Baby Bin Volunteer
- Mentor for Middle School Students
- Literacy Mentor
- Celebration Gift Basket
- Reading Tutor
- Give a BOOST to Literacy...
- Healthy Home Essentials
- Shelter Hot Breakfast Provider
- Intro to Volunteering with...
- Shelter Hot Evening Meal Provider
- Supply Drive for Women
- Youth Group Overnight and...
- Tourists and Travelers: Give us...
- Undercover Drive!