Orangutan Foundation International has volunteer opportunities available for active individuals who want to get their hands dirty and help save one of the earth’s most bio-diverse areas. Come to Borneo, the world’s oldest rainforest, and help OFI build a much-needed structure! You may be building a bridge, an enclosure, an infant orangutan jungle gym, or another structure to help OFI continue our work to save orangutans in the rainforest.
Field volunteers complete projects that aid critically important aspects of our on-the-ground programs. The Field Construction Volunteer Program was developed because concerned individuals asked to participate directly in the work. We believe that together we can ensure that wild orangutans do not become extinct in our lifetimes.
Dates for 2018:
- Team 1: July 15th - August 4th
- Team 2: August 15th - September 1st
Volunteer projects will take place at one of the following sites*:
- The Orangutan Care Center and Quarantine (OCCQ)
- In the Dayak village of Pasir Panjang
- Camp Leakey
- Guard posts within protected forests
- Remote release sites
- And other sites to be determined
*The projects will not be confirmed until later in the year and will be specific to the needs at that time.
A Volunteer’s Typical Day:
7:00am - 8:00am: Breakfast
8:00am: Work begins
12:00pm: Lunch break
5:00pm: Work ends, time to bathe
7:30pm: Discussion of day’s events and discussion of next day’s work
9:00pm: Bed (at volunteer’s discretion)
Click here for a downloadable brochure:
For more information, you can read the FAQ here: https://orangutan.org/volunteer/construction-program/faqs/
Be ready for:
- Hands-on manual work in a hot, humid, equatorial environment
- Buzzing, biting insects and the rare venomous snake
- Basic, remote, isolated living conditions: no running hot water, rudimentary toilet and shower facilities
- Possibly sleeping in the middle of the forest in temporary shelters
- 3 meals per day (rice and vegetables, possibly supplemented by eggs, chicken, tofu, or fish)
- Construction work: building, carrying, sawing, cutting, etc. - heavy lifting required!
The Basics: In order to participate in our Volunteer Program:
- Volunteers do not need experience in the field, just a willingness to help, a sincere interest in forest conservation and orangutan survival, and a passion for the work OFI does.
- Volunteers are expected to work approximately 8 hours per day with one day of rest on Sunday. This volunteer experience should not be viewed as a "holiday."
- You must be a member of the Orangutan Foundation International.
- You must be 18 years of age or above.
- You must be in good physical condition and be prepared for hands-on manual work in a hot, steamy, equatorial environment that may occasionally have buzzing and biting insects and other inconveniences as well as the occasional danger (such as the rare venomous snake).
- Volunteers should also be cognizant that Borneo’s endemic diseases consist of such tropical diseases as malaria, dengue, typhus, hepatitis, etc.
Volunteers are responsible for their own vaccinations and should bring anti-malarial prophylactics and medication as well as medicines for common conditions such as diarrhea. OFI will NOT accept applicants who do not show proof of valid vaccinations against the following diseases: tetanus, hepatitis A and B, typhoid, and potentially others, depending on alert levels at the time. We also require negative tuberculosis test results for orangutan health and safety reasons.
HOW TO APPLY
- All applicants must be members in good standing of OFI. To join OFI, please visit: https://orangutan.org/product-category/membership-program/
The fee is $45 for a student or senior membership.
- Fill out the online Construction Team Application Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1j_IHK7cagrJM5WLAQuwVs7256hXAwClhNnxZu21Yhzc/viewform
- Submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Proof of OFI membership
- Cover Letter
All applications will be acknowledged. Once applications and supporting documents are received, phone or Skype interviews will be conducted with chosen applicants. You will be contacted by one of our volunteer coordinators to set up this interview usually within a few weeks of application. Note that all of our volunteer coordinators are themselves volunteers, so please be patient if there is an occasional communications delay.
After the interview, if accepted, you will receive a letter of acceptance and you will need to pay the program fee to reserve your spot on your chosen team.
Once you have paid your fee, you will receive our program waivers and a Volunteer Program Manual. This manual included emergency information relating to Borneo, Indonesia, a "What to Bring" list, and information on the program and local community.
Each volunteer team runs for a set period of approximately 3 weeks. The cost of taking part in each team is $1,275 (USD) and is paid upon acceptance of volunteer’s application at a link listed below. This payment is meant to hold your spot on the team.
Once you’ve received the official acceptance letter please choose your team and pay here:
You will receive a receipt and a confirmation email. Up to 6 months before the program, the fee is refundable. Once paid, the fee holds your spot on the team.
The program payment includes:
All accommodations, food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), materials for the completion of the project, local assistance, as well as travel to and from the program site from the town airport.
This program payment does not include:
Snacks, postage, laundry, or activities outside the volunteer experience. This program payment also does not include international and internal travel to the town airport. You must purchase your flight tickets to and from the closest airport which is located near the town of Pangkalan Bun, Kalimantan Tengah (Central Borneo, Indonesia). This also does not include the cost of three days entry into the national park during the trip to Camp Leakey at the end of the project.
OFI Volunteer Committee
824 Wellesley Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Telephone Number: 310-820-4906
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- three weeks