As an Academic Coach and Mentor your goal is to support your pod of students in the successful completion of their homework while motivating them towards their highest level of academic performance. Along with a team of other Academic Coaches/Mentors, you will work independently with a group of five to seven middle school students to develop their positive academic self-identity. The Academic Coach/Mentor also challenges the TVM scholar to think about his or her personal and/or professional goals in order to relate them to his or her academic/educational goals. In this learning process, it is important to encourage the students to become more self-aware by understanding his or her strengths, values, interests, purpose, and passion. This process should also focus on the student developing necessary skills to be responsible for his or her actions and decisions.
Students will see you as a mentor/friend, families will praise you for helping them and their child, and TVM will share in this effort to increase the probability of youth staying on a college pathway by 9 th grade and college bound after high school graduation.
- Passion for and commitment to helping students succeed
- Independent and able to work unsupervised
- Proficient in multiple subjects at 10 th grade level or above
- Ability to assist students with class projects
- Strong communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Punctual & Responsible
- Experience working with a diverse population students in a relevant program area (e.g. tutoring or teaching, college advising, or youth development) - preferred
- TVM operates Monday-Friday between 3pm-5pm and you must be able to commit to 2-hour shifts one or more of these days
- Oversee the success of a cohort of students Document progress and communicate observations to the larger team
- Complete administrative tasks including, but not limited to, maintaining the center, monitoring technology, taking attendance, chaperoning field trips, entering data, occasional school site visits, and contacting parents and teachers
- Attend onboarding and orientation prior to the start of volunteer service
- Meet regularly with the Program Director to discuss student progress
- Assist in the monitoring and tracking of students in their attendance, and academic and behavioral progress.
If you are inspired to do this work and the location and time works for you, please join us on this grassroots journey towards academic excellence.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2:30pm to 5:00pm; One to Two Days Per Week