Avenidas provides support, information, and community to enrich the lives of older adults and their families.Door to Door Driver driving seniors to their appointments. Here is a wonderful opportunity to provide a critically needed service while getting out and about and making friends with people in the community. Riders will be seniors who, for one reason or another, can no longer drive.
The driver will be expected to drive up to four consecutive hours once a week. Volunteers will receive an email weekly with your driving schedule. Must be confotable using a cell phone for communication. Driver will pick up passengers at the designated location and drive them to their destination at the scheduled time. There may be as many as ten clients in a four-hour period, depending on the locations and the lengths of the visits. Most rides will be under five miles but no longer than 12 miles.
Locations covered includes the cities of San Carlos, Redwood City, Atherton, Woodside, Menlo Park, Portola Valley, East Palo Alto, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills and Mountain View north of Grant Road. Requirements: Will be responsible, reliable and punctual. Should feel comfortable around elderly people who may need assistance. Riders may use a cane or walker to assist in mobility but not a wheelchair. Must be over 25 and under 90 years of age. Excellent driving record with DMV driving records are checked monthly. Driver's vehicle has to be in good condition. Volunteers must have valid liability insurance. All driving is on a volunteer basis, but drivers may be reimbursed for mileage at $.14 per mile if they request it. Expected to drive up to four consecutive hours per week, but may drive more or less than that if desired. Must be courteous to the riders and mindful of their physical limitations. Driver must report any problems to the program coordinator. Must notify the program coordinator as soon as possible of illness or unavailability. Must have knowledge of area and ability to read maps. Volunteers must have a persoanl cell phone. Nonsmokers prefered.
- Elder care
- Transportation Management
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 4hrs/ wk
- Valid liabilty car insurance, and clean driving record.
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Habitat For Humanity Greater SF...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul -...
- Samaritan House - Administration...
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Nutrition
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- Peninsula Family Service - 70...
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...