ESL Teaching Internship in Ecuador
1 person is interested
The Tandana Foundation is seeking interns to teach English (and possibly computer classes) in mountain villages in the Otavalo canton of Ecuador, a region that is rich in natural beauty and cultural diversity. This internship is available from September through early July, and the minimum time commitment is 6 months.
In this internship, you will work alongside local teachers and community members, teaching English to students in kindergarten through 6th grade (plus basic computer classes depending on the needs of the school). Because Tandana facilitates many volunteer programs and community development projects throughout the year, you may also help coordinate service- and cultural-learning experiences for groups of U.S. students that are visiting your community as well as assist with other Tandana projects as need arises. You will also tutor Tandana scholarship students who need additional help and support the scholarship program in other ways. Finally, you will serve as a a cultural ambassador and a positive representative of The Tandana Foundation. In return, you will be placed with a host family, which will allow countless opportunities to explore the indigenous cultures and subsistence lifestyles of highland Ecuador as well as the natural environment around you. You will also be given all the support you need to succeed in your work and be encouraged to accomplish your personal internship goals.
- Conversational Spanish
- Experience living in cross-cultural situations, preferably in Latin America
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse array of people, to solve problems creatively, and to promote a positive experience for all involved
- Self-motivation, responsibility, and an ability to work independently
- Demonstrated interest in elementary education or ESL
- Minimum age is 19
- Minimum time commitment is 6 months
- Teach elementary English five days a week and potentially computer classes as well
- Help coordinate the activities of visiting student groups and other Tandana projects and ensure that volunteers and community members alike have positive experiences.
- Provide tutoring and other support to Tandana's scholarship program
- Represent Tandana in a positive manner to all community members and volunteers and help to build good relationships
- The opportunity to participate in unique cultural activities and be a part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team
- Detailed orientation and ongoing support from Tandana's Ecuador Program Manager as well as a mentor
- Room and board with a local family (homestay)
- Work expenses including local transportation, cell phone, and consular fees. (Interns pay their own airfare to Ecuador)
How to apply:
Interested parties should send a resume and a letter addressing each of the following questions to Aaron DiMartino, Operations Director, at email@example.com
- Please describe any experience you have living in Ecuador or in another cross-cultural situation.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader?
- Describe an experience that was very challenging for you. How did you deal with the difficulties, and what did you learn from the experience?
- What are you passionate about, and how do you express that passion?
- What do you think will be most exciting about this internship?
- What do you think will be most difficult about this internship?
- What are your personal and professional goals for this internship and how can we help you accomplish them?
We'll work with your schedule.
2933 Lower Bellbrook RdOtavalo, 45370Ecuador
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- minimum time commitment is 6 months