Code Enforcement Volunteer/Intern for the City of West St. Paul, MN
6 people are interested
CODE ENFORCEMENT INTERN/VOLUNTEER WEST ST. PAUL
This is an unpaid volunteer/intern opportunity. The candidate will need to be able to work (2) 4 hour shifts Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am-4:30pm.
This position is very hands on, and a great career building opportunity to learn code enforcement, and some of the skills needed to move forward in a Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Rental Management or Housing Inspector career or if you are interested in learning new skills. It is also a great opportunity for someone who is retired and enjoys keeping their community the best it can be.
This position assists the Code Enforcement Officer with administration, educating, inspecting and enforcing the City’s ordinances, particularly with regard to nuisance and property maintenance issues.
Full training is provided. You will shadow until you feel ready to go out on your own.
Because of the depth, and time of the training we ask for a 3-6 month commitment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Use dispute resolution and professional communication skills.
- Conducts re-inspections.
- Investigates complaints and finds new code violations while driving the City in a City vehicle by taking pictures and written documentation.
- Educates property owners of code requirements and enforcement.
- Processes paperwork as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer service and public relations.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, meet deadlines and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written modes.
- Ability to drive a City vehicle, and walk around to take pictures of code violations.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn Code Enforcement software.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to defuse situations with people who are upset/unhappy.
- Some knowledge of code enforcement and property maintenance codes helpful, but not required.
- Enjoys being outside, driving, and taking pictures.
- Experience working with people in difficult situations.
- Experience with standard office software such as Word and Excel.
- Possession of a valid Minnesota Driver’s License and a good driving record for the past 3 years.
- An interest in working in compliance situations, and cares about upholding laws and ordinances.
Email your cover letter and resume to Diane Erickson, email@example.com
We'll work with your schedule.
City of West St. Paul1616 Humboldt AveWest St. Paul, MN 55118
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Conflict Resolution
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- At least 3 months, see above
- < span