CODE ENFORCEMENT INTERN/VOLUNTEER WEST ST. PAUL
This is an unpaid volunteer/intern opportunity. The candidate will need to be able to work (2) 4 hour shifts Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am-4:30pm.
This position is very hands on, and a great career building opportunity to learn code enforcement, and some of the skills needed to move forward in a Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Rental Management or Housing Inspector career. It is also a great opportunity for someone who is retired and enjoys keeping their community the best it can be.
This position assists the Code Enforcement Officer with administering, educating, inspecting and enforcing the City’s ordinances, particularly with regard to nuisance and property maintenance issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Use dispute resolution and professional communication skills.
- Conducts re-inspections.
- Investigates complaints and documents new code violations found while driving the City.
- Advises property owners of code requirements and enforcement.
- Processes paperwork as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer service and public relations.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, meet deadlines and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written modes.
- Ability to drive a City vehicle, and walk around to take pictures of code violations.
- Basic computer understanding and ability to learn Code Enforcement software.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with people who are upset/unhappy.
- Some knowledge of code enforcement and property maintenance codes helpful, but not required.
- Experience working with people in difficult situations.
- Experience with standard office software such as Word and Excel.
- Possession of a valid Minnesota Driver’s License and a good driving record for the past 3 years.
- A passion for working in compliance situations, and upholding laws and ordinances.
Email your cover letter and resume to Diane Erickson, email@example.com
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- At least 3 months, see above
- < span