Peninsula Family Services Senior Peer Counseling program is seeking warm, caring, non-judgmental men and women who are 50+ years of age. There are no special educational requirements, but rather an interest in working with older adults. Volunteers provide one-to-one counseling to elderly residents of San Mateo County. Counselors are given a 36-hours of training with two three hour session per week for six weeks. Counselors are asked to attend counselor support meetings held every-other-week, as well as quarterly in-service meetings. Volunteers are assigned cases in the area where volunteers live. Ongoing supervision and training are provided. Hours are flexible. A one-year commitment is asked. Skills required: be a good listener - be yourself!
- Public Speaking
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- A one-year commitment is asked.
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Lifeline Services Mills- Peninsula
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...