Friendship Center Host/ Hostess- Mental Health Association of San Mateo County
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereMills Peninsula Senior Focus1720 El Camino Real, Ste. 10Burlingame, CA 94010
The Mental Health Association of San Mateo County, a nonprofit organization, enriches quality of life, restores dignity, and reduces homelessness, particularly for those affected by mental illness and HIV/AIDS. Mental Health Association strengthens hope by providing shelter, support and opportunities for socialization. The Friendship Centers are friendly, warm gatherings for adults with mental health diagnoses to socialize, play games, enjoy arts and crafts, and eat a simple lunch. Sometimes staff and volunteers take the participants on field trips. We're looking for volunteers who are friendly, outgoing, and enjoy taking initiative. Volunteers should be comfortable talking one on one and joining group activities, such as bingo. We also look to volunteers to help prepare a simple lunch. An agency orientation is provided to new volunteers with on-going invitations to attend workshops, conferences, site visits, and events related to mental health issues. The Friendship Centers meet in Daly City, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, and East Palo Alto. The Friendship Centers are hosted at church community rooms or in meeting rooms at the county mental health centers. Some volunteers have been with us for decades. Both volunteers and participants experience the Friendship Center as an extended family.
- Public Speaking
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Shopping Assistance for the...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...