Volunteers will counsel seniors in Medicare beneficiaries on Medicare eligibility and benefits, supplementing Medicare, billing problems, denial of service and other Medicare issues.
Volunteers will be provided 30+ classroom hours of training, plus an internship of 10+ hours.
Volunteers are needed county-wide in San Mateo. Volunteers are stationed at one or two locations near their homes.
Other language skills are a big plus. Mandarin, Chinese, Spanish.
HICAP will provide mileage/bus reimbursement
Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP): (available after being registered for 1 year as a Medicare counselor.
SMP staff and their volunteers outreach to Medicare beneficiaries in their communities through:
* hosting group presentations,
* exhibiting at community events,
* answering calls to the SMP helplines, and
* providing one-on-one counseling.
They teach Medicare beneficiaries how to protect their personal identity, identify and report errors on their health care bills and identify deceptive health care practices, such as illegal marketing, providing unnecessary or inappropriate services and charging for services that were never provided.
SMP volunteers have to go through HICAP training and they're really seen as HICAP counselors with a specialty in fraud and abuse. It's a fairly new partnership between Senior Medicare Patrol and HICAP to have volunteers go through specific SMP training and HICAP training.
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- HICAP will provide mileage/bus reimbursement
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Habitat For Humanity Greater SF...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul -...
- Samaritan House - Administration...
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer -...
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Nutrition
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels - Meal Delivery...
- Peninsula Family Service - 70...
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...