- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
6 people are interested
Kids need safe places to be after school, in the evening, and on school breaks. Clubs are open to all children and youth, and provide safe spaces and supportive staff at a variety of locations around the city. From snacks and hot meals to homework help, learning programs, and recreational activities, clubs are great places for kids to be!
We have 5 program areas: Arts and Culture, Physical Activity, Health and Nutrition, Academic Support and G.E.L.L (Growth, Empowerment and Life Skills and Leadership).
The diversity of our programming allows our volunteers to get engaged with our youth in a meaningful way that's relevant to their individual personalities and what they can bring to the table. If you enjoy theater, music and the arts, ask our club staff how you can get involved in that area of our programming; if you used to be a little league coach, you can become involved in our physical activity programs; if you are a health and fitness fanatic, help us come up with healthy meal plans for our kids and even teach them how to cook it for themselves! We want to play to your strengths and enable you to do the things you truly enjoy with our kids.
To ensure the safety of members, there is a well-qualified team of staff and volunteer mentors at each club. There are always staffs on site that are trained in first aid, CPR, and child abuse prevention.
Children with mentors experience incredible life benefits such as:
* Becoming 80% more likely to finish high school
* Becoming 2 to 4 times less likely to bully, lie, cheat, steal or become involved in drugs and/or alcohol
* 78% of our kids coming from a family history of social assistance (parents depending on welfare, food banks, etc., to make ends meet) do not experience the same challenges in their adulthood
* Their life time income is $300,000 dollars more, on average, than youth who did not have mentors
Qualifications: There are no specific skills or experience required, however all volunteers are screened to gauge their appropriateness for our programs.
Benefits & Recognition People who mentor:
* Gain personal growth and development
* Have a positive new perspective on life
* Make a positive difference in the life of a child and the community
* See meaningful improvements in their own mental and physical health
* Report increased levels of happiness and energy
Deliverables / Duties:
Club hours of operation are generally 3-8PM every weekday (there are differences from club to club, however). As a volunteer, you will assist our club once a week for a minimum of 1 hour during those hours of operation.
Responsibilities depend on what capacity volunteers wish to assist the club (i.e. helping cook vs. participating in activities with the kids.)
We'll work with your schedule.
10135 89 StreetEdmonton, Alberta T5H 1P6Canada
- Exhibition Arts
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 1+ hours/week for one year
- < span lang=