The Homework Central Mission is to assist children in developing their capacity to learn and achieve through homework assistance and family support. We believe that education is a critical component to a successful life in today's world. Often socio-economic and language barriers challenge this educational capacity. Our community homework centers with caring volunteers can mitigate these obstacles so that children can become capable students.
This innovative program serves 3rd through 5th grade children from North Central San Mateo. The children are referred by their teachers and bussed from schools to the homework site. Here they find tutors waiting for to assist them with their homework. There are 24 children at the site and the ratio of tutors to children is 1:3. Our volunteers are as diverse as the community we serve, ranging in age form students to retired senior citizens. It is not necessary to have a teaching background. Patience, a love of children, and a desire to help are the primary factors that bring volunteers together with students in our program. Volunteer tutors work a minimum of one day (two hrs) a week. Tutors are encouraged to volunteer as many days as their schedule and interest permits. Many of our volunteers commit four days a week! Orientation will be provided, 2 days Math & English skills review provided by school district.
We greatly appreciate the gift of each hour.
Homework Central Sites in San Mateo:
Sunnybrae Elementry School
Unitarian Universalist of San Mateo
Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
Park Elementry School
- Youth Services
- Math / Science Instruction
- Community Outreach
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Lifeline Services Mills- Peninsula
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...