Reading Tutor (Daytime and Afterschool) - Jewish Coalition for Literacy
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereMills Peninsula Senior Focus1720 El Camino Real, Ste. 10Burlingame, CA 94010
Inspired by Jewish values of social justice, the Jewish Coalition for Literacy is dedicated to eliminating childhood illiteracy by mobilizing tutors, engaging parents and expanding home libraries to help under-served public school children throughout the Bay Area. Reading tutor, Daytime & Afterschool Job
Description: Develop a relationship one-to-one with a child (K-3) and read aloud, develop comprehension skills, vocabulary and the excitement about ideas and reading. Qualifications/Skills: Must love reading with children, previous experience working in a school environment is a plus, but not necessary. Volunteers need to be flexible and have a positive attitude when working with children. Volunteers must attend a 3 hour training session and complete a small volunteer registration packet. Applicants must pass screening process which includes a criminal background check, TB test, and fingerprinting in most districts. Time Commitment: Minimum of one hour each week - during the entire school year (October through May). Tutoring takes place during school hours or after school. Volunteers can take vacations. Orientation/Training: Excellent 3 hour volunteer orientation and training. Manual & bookbag provided. Benefits: Free professional development workshops and programs. Free parking, personal satisfaction and joy.JCL Sites: Mountain View School District, Palo Alto School District, Ravenswood City School District, Redwood City School District, Millbrae Unified School District, San Mateo-Foster City School District, Fiesta Gardens International School
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Library Sciences
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Habitat For Humanity Greater SF...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul -...
- Samaritan House - Administration...
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer -...
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Nutrition
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- Peninsula Family Service - 70...
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...