Avenidas Early Literacy Program: A school-based program designed to help children who are reading below grade-level. Help children, grades 1 - 3, on a one -to-one basis with reading, writing and comprehension. All volunteers receive training. All volunteers tutor at their assigned school during school hours. Participating schools are located in Los Altos, Mountain View, Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Redwood City, Santa Clara, and Sunnyvale. Tutors work with two students (30 minutes each, back to back) twice each week for a total of two hours per week during most of the school year. Most tutoring takes place during school hours on weekdays. Avenidas-Early Literacy Program is currently in seven districts and at 28 schools. Please specify location of preference.Los Altos School District: Covington, Oak Avenue, Santa Rita;Mountain View Whisman School District: Benjamin Bubb, Frank L. Huff, Edith Landels, Monta Loma, Stevenson, Theuerkauf;Palo Alto Unified School District: Addison, Barron Park, Juana Briones, El Carmelo, Escondido, Fairmeadow, Lucille M. Nixon, Ohlone, Palo Verde;Ravenswood City School District: Brentwood and Willow OaksRedwood City School District: Clifford, Hawes, Roosevelt, Taft Sunnyvale Elementary School District: Ellis, FairwoodSanta Clara Unified School District: Briarwood
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- Homework Assistant and Tutor -...
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- California Highway Patrol...
- Brown Bag Program - Second...
- Medicare Counselor - HICAP
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Life Skills Workshop Instructor...
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Senior Peer Counselor -...
- Senior Nutrition
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System
- Recreation Instructor
- CalFresh Outreach Assistant -...
- SFO Travelers Information