GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS & COMMUNITY ORGANIZING INTERNSHIP at Civil Rights Organization
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereInternational District, near Downtown Seattle2 blocks frm International District Tunnel StationSeattle, WA 98104
The Government Affairs & Community Organizing Intern will organize numerous training sessions and in-district lobbying meetings to educate, organize, and mobilize WA State's Muslim communities with strategic meetings with lawmakers in cities statewide to empower community members to lobby lawmakers to represent their interests.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Track state legislators' upcoming public activities (e.g. Breaks, townhalls, meetings w/ ally orgs, etc.), and our ally orgs' actions, and work ahead of time to prepare their Muslim constituents to actively and visibly participate
- Contact lawmakers' offices to schedule meetings
- Contact community members statewide and lawmakers' offices to schedule in-district lobbying meetings with elected officials in cities statewide
- Organize all materials and messaging points for lobbying trainings to be held in cities statewide
- Update procedure logs with new procedures and protocols
- Other tasks as needed
- Very assertive, 'can-do' attitude
- Punctuality and reliability
- Detail-orientation and excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and under strict time constraints
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Very strong verbal and written business communication skills as well as editing and proof-reading skills.
- A very positive attitude
- Professional demeanor
- Internal sense of urgency and initiative that promotes focus, creative thinking and solutions
Time commitment: A minimum 6 month, 20 hours per week commitment is required. Internship hours must be completed in the office, within the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Office location: Our physical office (different from our mailing address) is very conveniently located near downtown Seattle just two blocks east of Metro's International District Tunnel Station. Any bus that goes to downtown Seattle from across the Puget Sound region can drop you off within 2 blocks of our office.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email email@example.com and, in the subject line, please clearly indicate the title(s) of the position(s) in which you are interested, in order of preference. Please include in your e-mail an explanation of why you are interested in this position, any relevant experience or skills, and your complete contact information (full name, email, and phone number).
You may also include a résumé and two references who have supervised you in a past volunteer position, internship or employment. All internship and volunteer positions at CAIR-WA are unpaid.
Students interested in receiving academic credit (college) or community service hours (high school) should indicate so in their e-mails. Credit may be arranged during the first week of the academic term.
Please note:ALL POSITIONS ARE OPEN IMMEDIATELY we respond to applications year-round IMMEDIATELY as they are received, so apply now!
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS MAY NOT BE PROCESSED.
- Problem Solving
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Planning / Management
- Event Management
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Minimum 20 hrs/week 6 month commitment required
- GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS & COMMUNITY...
- OFFICE MANAGEMENT VOLUNTEER at...
- GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERN AT CIVIL...
- Case Intake Intern at Civil...
- WEB DESIGN VOLUNTEER AT CIVIL...
- EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Volunteer)...
- PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN AT CIVIL...
- Volunteer Receptionist at Civil...
- GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP at...
- DONOR RELATIONS VOLUNTEER AT...
- Media Research and Analysis...
- EVENT PLANNING INTERNSHIP AT...
- WEB DESIGN VOLUNTEER AT CIVIL...