Project Read is a local program of the California Literacy Campaign, a statewide effort by libraries to help adults improve their reading, writing, and communication skills. Students set their own learning goals and the program is carried out in an atmosphere of encouragement and security. Students and tutors meet at times and locations that are mutually convenient and all work is kept confidential. Purpose: To help an English speaking adult to read and write through one-on-one tutoring. Training & Support: Tutors are required to attend 12 hours of basic training which provides the skills needed to help someone increase his or her basic reading interests. Staff is available to consult with tutors individually to discuss student's progress, to help with the development of lesson plans and to problem solve when necessary. Place to Work: Tutors and students usually meet in libraries, recreation centers, homes, or any place where they feel comfortable. Hours: After the training is complete, the tutor and student usually meet twice a week for 1.5 to 3 hours each time.Duration: A six-month commitment is requested. Qualifications: Volunteer must be patient, dependable and prompt, interested in others and able to relate to them; be respectful of individuals and maintain confidentiality; able to read and write; flexible; friendly; optimistic. Sense of humor is helpful. Professional training is unnecessary. Locations: Redwood City, San Mateo, Colma, San Bruno, South San Francisco, Daly City. Please specify location preference.
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Library Sciences
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Reading Tutor - Reading Partners
- Food Delivery - Society of St....
- Kitchen/ Food Pantry - Samaritan...
- Radio Operator - Blackberry...
- Early Literacy Program - Avenidas
- Homeless Help Kitchen - Society...
- Get up & Go Volunteer
- Mills-Peninsula Health Services
- Caring Cupboard - City of San...
- Mobility Ambassador - San Mateo...
- Senior Nutrition
- Lifeline Services Mills- Peninsula
- Recreation Instructor
- SFO Travelers Information
- Monkey Toy Project - Los Altos...
- Meals on Wheels
- San Mateo County Sheriff's Office
- Friendship Center Host/ Hostess-...
- Project Read Literacy Tutor
- Habitat for Humanity Greater SF...