Restoration. Education. Appreciation. Preservation.
Nurture Nature at a 2018 R.E.A.P. Volunteer Workday!
R E A P is a group of dynamic volunteers from all walks of life who focus on building a culture of stewards to ensure that the ecosystems within the Forest Preserves of Winnebago County remain healthy for generations to come. All ages are welcome and experience is not required!
We offer hands-on habitat restoration training - brush and invasive plant removal and native seed collection - plus enriching conservation education on the 3rd Saturday of every month between April and October from 9 a.m. until Noon. Participant names are entered into a drawing for a chance to win a prize!
- Proper off-trail outdoor workday attire recommended - long pants, long sleeves & sturdy, waterproof shoes (no sandals/flip flops, please)
- Light snack & work gloves provided - bring your water bottle - wear your insect repellent & sunscreen
- Each workday participant must complete a waiver (youth volunteers must have their waiver signed by a parent/guardian)
- In case of rain, our workday will be cancelled - check our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/forestpreservesofwinnebagocounty) for up-to-the-minute event information!
For important details and to complete our waiver, visit http://winnebagoforest.org and click on the date of your choice on our Calendar of Events (located on the left hand side of our webpage).
2018 R.E.A.P. Volunteer Workdays are scheduled for the following third Saturdays (9am-Noon):
- April 21st - Kishwaukee Gorge Forest Preserve (4643 Blackhawk Road, Cherry Valley) - Brush Removal/Guided Wildflower Hike
- May 19th - Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve (5360 Mulford Road, Cherry Valley) - Brush Removal/Nature Fiesta Event
- June 16th - J. Norman Jensen Forest Preserve (14401 S. Bluff, Rockton) - Seed Collection/Fishing
- July 21st- Colored Sands Forest Preserve (10602 Haas Road, Shirland) - Seed Collection/Canoeing the Sugar River
- August 18th - SCOUTS DAY! Exact Location TBD - Seed Collection/Guided Dragonfly Hike
- September 15th - NEW! Cedar Cliff Forest Preserve (7901 Kishwaukee Road, Stillman Valley) - Planting Greenhouse Plugs & Brush Removal/ Guided Cliff Exploration
- October 20th - Ferguson Forest Preserve (8602 West Winslow Road, Shirland) - Seed Collection/Guided Waterfowl Hike
QUESTIONS? Call us at (815) 877-6100, 8am-5pm M-F or e-mail our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Environmental Education
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Third Saturdays of each mo. (April-Oct) 9 am-Noon.
- Long sleeves, pants and sturdy boots are recommended. Flip flops are not permitted.