R E A P stands for Restoration - Education - Appreciation - Preservation. We are a group of dynamic volunteers from all walks of life who focus on building a culture of stewards to ensure that the ecosystems within the Forest Preserves of Winnebago County remain healthy for generations to come. Everyone is welcome to join, and experience is not required.
We provide you with hands-on training and enriching conservation education on the third Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. until Noon (April through October) at various forest preserves listed below. We remove invasive plants each month and gather/spread native seeds in the fall. R E A P members are equally as passionate about gathering for refreshments and camaraderie after each morning of hard, satisfying work. The names of registered participants will be entered into a raffle to win a prize!RSVP on-line: http://winnebagoforest.org/event/r-e-a-p-volunteer-workday/
- Proper off-trail outdoor workday attire recommended - long pants, long sleeves & sturdy, waterproof shoes (no sandals/flip flops, please)
- Light snack & work gloves provided - bring your water bottle - wear your insect repellent & sunscreen
- Parent/Guardian signature required on waiver for youth volunteers under the age of 18
- In case of rain, our workday will be cancelled - check our Facebook page for up-to-the-minute event information!
2017 R∙E∙A∙P Volunteer Workdays
- April 15th - Kishwaukee Gorge North Forest Preserve Workday and "Signs of Spring" Guided Hike (4643 Blackhawk Road in Cherry Valley)
- May 20th - Hononegah Forest Preserve Workday and "Get Outside-Get Healthy!" Kick-off Event (#80 Hononegah Road, Rockton - Bird Grove Shelterhouse)
- June 17th - Deer Run Forest Preserve Workday and Guided Dragonfly Walk (5691 River Road, Cherry Valley)
- July 15th - Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve Workday and Canoeing on the Kishwaukee River-Advance registration required - limited quantity, so first come, first serve - or bring your own canoe or kayak! (5360 Mulford Road, Cherry Valley - Indian Springs Shelterhouse)
- August 19th - Severson Dells Forest Preserve Workday and Creek Study - Welcome Scouts!(8502 Montague Road, Rockford - Prairie Knoll Shelterhouse)
- September 16th - Sugar River Alder Forest Preserve Workday and Tour of Sand Bluff Bird Observatory (Meet at SBBO/Colored Sands10602 Haas Road, Shirland)
- October 21st - Pecatonica Wetlands Forest Preserve Workday and Guided Waterfowl Hike (4550 N. Pecatonica Road, Pecatonica)
Questions? Contact Kim at email@example.com
- Environmental Education
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Third Saturdays of each mo. (April-Oct) 9 am-Noon.
- Long sleeves, pants and sturdy boots are recommended. Flip flops are not permitted.