R E A P stands for Restoration - Education - Appreciation - Preservation. We are a group of dynamic volunteers from all walks of life who focus on building a culture of stewards to ensure that the ecosystems within the Forest Preserves of Winnebago County remain healthy for generations to come. Everyone is welcome to join, and experience is not required.
We provide you with hands-on training and enriching conservation education on the third Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. until Noon (April through October) at various forest preserves listed below. We remove invasive plants each month and gather/spread native seeds in the fall. R E A P members are equally as passionate about gathering for refreshments and camaraderie after each morning of hard, satisfying work.RSVP by calling (815) 877-6100, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The names of registered participants will be entered into a raffle to win a prize!
- Proper outdoor workday attire is recommended-long pants, long sleeves and sturdy shoes.
- Bring your water bottle - don't forget your insect repellent and sunscreen!
- Light refreshments/work gloves are provided along with beautiful scenery and conservation education!
- In case of rain, the workday will be cancelled.
UPCOMING R.E.A.P. EVENTS (9 a.m. until Noon for all)
- May 21st - Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve and Nature Fiesta Event (5801 Perryville Road, Cherry Valley)
- June 18th - Macktown Forest Preserve Workday and Early Settlers History Walk (2221 Freeport Road, Rockton)
- July 16th - Kilbuck Bluffs Forest Preserve Workday and Canoeing on the Kish (3061 South Bend Road, Rockford) Registration required - limited quantity, so first come, first serve - or bring your own canoe or kayak
- August 20th - Kieselburg Forest Preserve Workday and Guided Butterfly Hike (5801 Swanson Road, Roscoe)
- September 17th - J. Norman Jensen Forest Preserve Workday and Fishing on the Rock River (14401 S. Bluff, Rockton) Registration required - limited quantity, so first come, first serve - or bring your own fishing gear
- October 15th - Hononegah Forest Preserve Workday and Volunteer Appreciation Picnic
- Environmental Education
- Habitat Restoration
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Third Saturdays of each mo. (April-Oct)-9 am-Noon.
- Long sleeves, pants and sturdy boots are recommended. Flip flops are not permitted.