Giant Tortoise Breeding Center Volunteer (Galapagos)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
As the Galapagos Tortoise Center conservation volunteer, you will work with the Galapagos National Park as a member of the staff at the Tortoise Breeding Center. This will include:
- Feeding and caring for the tortoises, as well as maintaining their enclosure.
- Assisting the zoo keepers.
- Working directly with the public to educate tourists by informing them of the rules and regulations designed to keep the tortoises safe and the habitats intact.
Schedules are based on a 25 hr/week commitment, and can voluntarily be extended to a regular 40hr/work week. Typically Monday-Friday 7:30AM-12:30PM.
May be subject to change depending on the tasks at hand.Requirements:
- Basic to intermediate level of Spanish.
- A genuine passion for animal conservation.
- An ability to openly communicate rules and regulations to tourists as well as follow instructions. - Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Flexible schedule that accounts for the day to day needs of working with a local institution.
- Physical ability to work outdoors with potentially high sun, element, and temperature exposure.
We encourage all volunteers to stay as long as possible to maximize local and personal benefit. We encourage longer commitments by heavily discounting each additional week stayed. Minimum stay is 2 weeks; maximum stay is 3 months. All volunteers must arrive to Isabela on Mondays.Schedule
Our schedules are based on 20 hrs/week. The normal schedule is Monday-Friday 7.30 - 11.30AM which may be subject to change depending on the tasks at hand.What’s Included
Cost includes full room and board, permits, visas, local coordination and training at respective facility, local transport, full access to our facilities, National Park certificates, etc.-everything minus personal expenses and your airfare to Galápagos.Accommodation
Accommodation is provided in our fully equipped Volunteer housing or by one of our carefully selected host families. These are families who have experience with outside culture and international living through cultural exchange with our students and volunteers. Additionally to providing extra income for housing our students and volunteers, we train these families to be ambassadors in the community in areas such as English, domestic wellbeing, and nutrition.
You will have breakfast and dinner with your family. Lunch is provided at your choice of various restaurants in town. You simply sign for your meal and we’ll pick up the bill at the end of the month. For Volunteer housing breakfast is not included. Lunch and dinner are provided in your choice of restaurant.
* Intermediate level of Spanish
* A genuine passion for animal conservation
* An ability to openly communicate rules and regulations to tourists and follow instructions
* Ability to work independently as well as in a team
* Physical ability to work outdoors with potentially high allergen, sun and temperature exposure
We'll work with your schedule.
IOI GalapagosPuerto Villamil, Ecuador
- Environmental Education
- Community Outreach
- Animal Care / Handling
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 20h per week