Positive Parenting Program Child Activity Helper
The JFS Positive Parenting Program (PPP) provides education, support, and empowerment through free
parenting classes to families in San Diego County. Every year, PPP helps 3,000+ children and their
families find positive solutions to common childhood behavior issues using strategies that follow
the Triple P America curriculum, a research-based program that has been shown to promote
family harmony, reduce parent-child conflict, foster successful peer relationships, and
prepare children for successful experiences at school. Child Activity Helpers play a vital role in
the success of the program by providing fun and age appropriate child
activities that support the parenting curriculum.
Goal of Position:
Child Activity Helpers will engage pre-school/elementary age children in fun, educational, and age
appropriate activities while their parents attend PPP classes. To enhance the quality of care and
outcome of parent education, it would be ideal if volunteers were willing to work with PPP staff to
create co-curriculum for each session that gives the children a meaningful experience. PPP seeks to
provide culturally competent service when interacting with children and families.
Preferred candidates are flexible, sensitive to cultural difference and comfortable working with
Spanish speaking families. This program is only offered during regular school year
(fall-winter-spring), and helpers must be willing to drive to locations throughout San Diego
1. Learn about one of JFS’ premier community programs
2. Work with underserved children and their parents (direct service)
3. Work with a multicultural population
4. Flexible schedule (multiple times available in the morning, midday or evening)
5. Opportunity to create and implement ideas for child care curriculum
1. Lead or support educational activities during PPP classes
2. Follow or create themed curriculum to use with children ages 2-12
3. Assist children ages 2-12 in free playtime and/or pre-established activities
4. Supervise children at all times
5. Follow volunteer guidelines
6. Assist with setup and breakdown before and after sessions
1. Experience or interest in working with preschool/young elementary age children
2. Child/human development knowledge a plus
3. Must be compassionate, reliable, responsible, very flexible, and patient
4. Must have reliable transportation to PPP sites throughout San Diego County
5. Must be willing to drive throughout San Diego County to various locations
1. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
2. Complete Volunteer Interview and orientation with JFS Volunteer Services and PPP staff
3. Must be at least 18 years old and be able to provide own transportation to the sites
4. Pass TB and agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
5. Must be able to lift 10 lbs
Based on volunteer availability and PPP seminar/group offerings, 3 hours per class assigned (2 with
children, 1 hour
setup/breakdown). Commitment to a full series of classes, three weeks of seminar at the same time
and place, is ideal, but not required. Note: This is a seasonal position; there are no
opportunities in the summer.
Classes are held at various Head Start Pre-schools, elementary schools, libraries, etc. throughout
San Diego County. Headquarters: 8804 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA 92123
Positive Parenting Program Assistant
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per month, flexible schedule
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- On the Go Administrative Assistant
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant