Inclusion Classroom Support
Open Mind School
Open Mind School is a nonprofit 501 (C) (3) public charity organization serving children ages four through twelve, who are gifted, those typically mainstreamed, and children with a range of special needs. Our year round school provides both partial and full day school programs, afterschool programs, home support, and weekend recreational activities. The goal of Open Mind School is to empower children and their families with the skills and motivation they will need to reach their unique developmental potential.
The position of Classroom Support Professional is a unique opportunity for professionals interested in a career in Education to gain meaningful hands on experience. The school day is 9am-2:30pm and staff is expected to be onsite from 8:30am-4:30pm. All materials, curriculum, and training will be provided by Open Mind School.
Duties and Responsibilities might include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Follow an individual education program for the student based on the student’s IEP and education plan including positive behavior support plans.
- Keep the child(ren) motivated and engaged.
- Provide support for group, small group, and individual instruction. We will have art therapists, music therapist, and yoga/movement providing enrichment.
- Under the direction of the Inclusion Teacher you might be responsible for planning, preparing, and implementing lesson plans.
- Support the classroom teacher in daily instruction.
- Help students follow safe and appropriate toileting routines.
- Carry your cell phone at all times but only use it for work related communication.
- Be on time at the beginning of school and when returning from breaks.
- Control the amount of language used in the classroom, limit cross talk with co-workers (this is verbal clutter and very disorganizing for students and the environment).
- Attend team meetings.
- Separate your personal life from your professional life.
- Assist with providing regular, ongoing, positive communication with parents, including but not limited to, daily or weekly written and verbal reports.
- Direct questions from parents as needed to the school director.
- Support the classroom teacher in maintaining classroom structure and organization.
- Administrative tasks as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Dress comfortable but professional.
- Have fun and be creative!
Classroom support must have completed coursework, and examinations needed to perform duties in a private academic setting. Requirements include a background check, current physical examination, a negative TB test, and police records check.
Classroom support professionals must possess excellent leadership, interpersonal and time management skills, proficiency with writing and communication, good problem-solving skills, and must work well within teams.
Job Location: 1060 Twin Dolphin Dr. Redwood City California, United States
Work Schedule: School hours are Monday - Friday 9am-2:30pm. Staff is onsite 8:30-4:30.
Salary: $0 - $22
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Open Mind School
2784 Homestead Rd. Unit 297, Santa Clara, CA 95051, US
Open Mind School was founded and its mission established on the beliefs that:
All children should have access to a quality education that provides a broad range of experiences.
Students should actively participate in their own learning.
Teaching should be based on the learning styles of the students.
Integrating multiple methodologies makes implementation of best practice more individualized.
Everyone should have the opportunity to share thoughts, express emotions, and be heard by caring professionals.
Students, families, and professionals must work in collaboration to effectively help students reach their maximum potential.
Providing regular opportunities for inclusive experiences is important to build openness and understanding in society.
Training and support for staff is fundamental in maintaining a well informed team to best serve the children in the school.
Do you believe that every child should have access to quality, comprehensive education based on individual learning styles? Do you want to be part of a groundbreaking nonprofit with a huge impact on the community? If so, we'd love to have you on our team. Open Mind School is a nonprofit 501(C) 3 inclusive school with small classrooms, adapted curriculum, innovative technology, and a BIG emphasis on enrichment activities. We are devoted to creating a motivating and appropriate environment where children can make meaningful gains in cognitive, physical, social, and developmental domains. We apply the most recent research when adapting and modifying activities and materials for different learners. We are also proud to partner with Yahoo for the Silicon Valley's first Tech Bridge Program.