PRS CrisisLink is looking for empathetic, non-judgmental and caring volunteers to answer our suicide and crisis prevention hotline calls at our call center in Arlington, VA. Our volunteers are committed to saving lives and preventing tragedies. Last year, we handled over 38,000 calls and over 1,000 texts to our new crisis texting lines. Thanks to our highly trained volunteers, our crisis and suicide prevention hotlines operate 24/7 to support individuals facing a life crisis or suicide, and connect them to community resources, empowering individuals to help themselves.
Hotline volunteers receive 50 hours of intensive small group and on-the-job training to handle crisis calls. Training includes a 2-Day Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) which is an evidence-based certification training. ASIST training is a prerequisite to the hotline training. View upcoming ASIST training dates here: https://prsinc.org/crisislink/volunteer-with-prs-crisislink/crisishotline/. Some hotline training sessions are provided online, while others require your attendance at the training center.
For this training session, priority will be given to those applicants who are available to cover shifts in our areas of highest need and call volume. Shifts available daytime, evenings and weekends, located in Arlington, VA. Applicants are subject to a screening process and interview.
The next training session begins on June 24 and 25, 8:30-4:30, and continues on July 8 & 9, 9am-4pm.
PRS CrisisLink volunteers acquire excellent communication and suicide prevention skills that last a lifetime. Volunteers can earn college credit or internship experience, and receive letters of recommendation.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website (provided below) to review the volunteer position and apply: https://prsincvolunteers.applicantpro.com/jobs/410830.html
Deadline to Apply: June 22, 2017
- Must be 21 years old.
- Must be willing to meet the challenge by committing to 150 hours of service (with one 3-4 hour shift per week for one year, or two shifts per week for 6 months) after successful completion of training.
- Must attend one refresher training and one in-service training per each year of service.
- A training fee of $100 is required and covers the materials provided to each trainee. The fee is payable at the time of acceptance into the training program. Payment plans are available if needed.
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Crisis Intervention
- Problem Solving
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 150 hours (one 3-hour shift/week) post training
- Training material fee of $100.00 payable at the time of acceptance into training program