Our marrow program represents the national organization, Be The Match, in North and Central Louisiana. We work with patients who are battling blood and bone illnesses, such as leukemia, lymphoma or sickle cell anemia. 70 percent of patients needing a marrow or stem cell transplant do not have a matching donor in their family; they rely on Be The Match to help them find their cure! www.bethematch.org
Our local program operates through LifeShare Blood Centers in Shreveport, LA, where all of the office assistance would take place.
There are many opportunities to help as a volunteer! We welcome individuals as well as volunteer groups. Many of the activities we need help with can be done by anyone from 10-years old to adults. I have parents who volunteer that even bring their children to drives to help!
The areas we need assistance include:
- Swab kit assembly.
- Putting stickers on the swabs and envelopes.
- Can be done in our office or at home.
- Can be done by nearly anyone!
- Post-Drive reviewing of donor forms.
- Donor forms must be reviewed for completeness before submission to the national database.
- Can include as few as 10-15 donor forms, but as many as 500.
- This takes a more detail oriented person, typically not for younger volunteers.
- Contacting donors for missing information or follow-up questions.
- Donors whose forms are missing information must be called/texted to complete the form, before submission.
- Follow-up questions may need to be asked for certain medical issues, such as date of diagnosis/injury.
- Assistance at and even managing drives in the community.
- Drive set-up and tear-down.
- Ask people to register.
- Handing out flyers/brochures.
- Assisting donors with their paperwork.
- Instruct donors on how to do their swabs.
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Donor Management
- Community Outreach
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, varies, depending on the activity.
- Detail Oriented, People Person