Help New Yorkers understand their health insurance and access the health care they need. Our volunteers assist New Yorkers whether on Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, or uninsured. By staffing our toll-free statewide helpline, volunteers provide direct one-on-one assistance to individuals and families and make a difference in people’s lives.
The Community Service Society’s Community Health Advocates ("CHA") program, New York’s designated health insurance consumer assistance program, helps New Yorkers use and keep their health insurance and access affordable health care. The CHA helpline is open from 9a.m. to 4p.m., Monday through Friday. We are looking for only volunteers who are able to work Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, one full day or two 4-hour shifts, for a minimum 6 month commitment.
Our next open houses for interested volunteers will take place on December 21st, 2016 and January 18th, 2017. Our next intensive training for our new volunteer class will take place during the first two weeks of February.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Answering the Community Health Advocates helpline phone calls.
- Conducting intake to gather necessary information from Helpline callers.
- Providing information, advice, referrals, and informal advocacy services to Helpline callers about their health insurance benefits and health care rights.
- Working closely with CHA staff to inform Helpline callers about how their health insurance works and how to access affordable health care services.
- Database entry that includes detailed notes.
- Carefully follow client privacy protection guidelines.
Preferred Skills and Interests:works and how to access affordable health care services.
- Willing to learn a broad array of health law, health policy, and health advocacy.
- Interest in serving low-income populations.
- Strong customer service skills including both listening and speaking skills (Competency in languages other than English a plus).
- Proficient in data entry and Microsoft word.
- Clear writing skills.
- Comfortable working independently with supervision as needed.
- Strong research skills and comfortable with online research.
- Available for an intensive training program and ongoing mini-trainings.
- Able to commit to volunteering approximately 8 hours a week for 6 months.
- Internet Research
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 23
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months, approximately 8hrs/week