The FamilyWise First Step Early Childhood Education Center serves diverse, at-risk families with children ages 3 months through their first day of kindergarten. First Step Early Childhood Education Center is a fully licensed child care center and provides a structured setting for the children of parents participating in our programs as well as neighborhood families. The goals of FamilyWise and First Step Early Childhood Education Center are to eliminate child abuse and neglect by parents and to assist children in reaching age-appropriate developmental levels.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provide a nurturing and educational environment which ensures positive experiences for children.
- Teach and model appropriate social skills for children.
- Help prepare and facilitate organized, age-appropriate activities for children.
- Assist staff and children with daily routine, special projects, and field trips when applicable.
- Abide by the determined plans and procedures specific to the program and to each child.
- Observe and report any concerns or changes in parent’s care or child’s mood, behavior or health to supervisor.
- Conduct duties in an unbiased manner in accordance with the agency’s mission statement and guiding principles by which all clients, volunteers, interns and staff are treated equally regardless of race, gender, religion, age, physical or mental abilities and/or sexual orientation.
- Interest & experience in child care/child development.
- Must be age 18 or older or can be 16 volunteering with a parent or guardian.
- Mature judgment and ability to cope with problems that arise, as well as the ability to respond to potential crisis situations in a responsible way.
- Adequate sensory alertness to monitor and to protect safety and well-being of the children.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to listen and provide empathy for the feelings and values of parents and children, with a sensitivity to and interest in supporting the unique struggles of at-risk families.
- Knowledge of child development/age appropriate developmental levels (cognitive, emotional, physical). Knowledge of effective parenting styles and skills preferred.
- May or may not be for educational credit.
- Child Development
- Child Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours once a month for 6 months
- Background Check