Purpose: To assist the public with all parts of the adoption process. Screen potential adopters and assist them in their adoption selection, have productive and informative conversations in order to educate the potential adopter. Create a positive experience for the adopter and a good adoption outcome for our cats and kittens.
- 18 years or older.
- Able to commit to a set weekly shift for a minimum 6 consecutive month commitment, of which the first 3 months will be shadowing and adoption counselor training.
- Understand the differences in cat personalities and how they may effect an adoption outcome.
- Excellent people and communication skills. Have the ability to represent SAFe Rescue in a positive and appropriate manner.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn our shelter database program.
- Be an active learner and listener.
Mastery of our adoption process, protocols, and standards of service and care must be exhibited prior to facilitating adoptions on your own, simply participating in training does not guarantee you a position as an adoption counselor. You must have an open mind and both the ability and willingness to learn the skills listed below:
- Greet guests and potential adopters, answer questions, have informative conversations to understand what would be the best match for the adopters household and lifestyle.
- Oversee meeting between potential adopter and cat to ensure proper handling and a good match. Ensure proper sanitization procedure between meeting each cat.
- Know individual cats well enough to answer questions about individual animals for potential guardians and guests.
- Socialize and groom adoption ready cats; make notes and observations on their behavior towards different adopters.
- Maintain the overall cleanliness of the cat room while following sanitation protocols at all times.
- Introducing new adopters with products that the retail section carries, the benefits of types of food, as well as proper feeding protocol based on individual cats.
- Operating cash register, handling money, and using an iPad for customer retail transactions.
- Customer Service
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3.5 hours a week for 6 months