Adult ESOL Classroom Teachers - James Lee Community Center
WhenMon Jan 30, 2017 - Thu Apr 27, 2017
Where2855 Annandale Road(Classes are located in Alexandria, Annandale,Falls Church, Herndon, Lorton, and Springfield)Falls Church, VA 22042
- The Literacy Council of Northern Virginia's English Language Learner Program provides instruction to adult students. The course content focuses on helping students improve their English speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. Our curriculum is theme-based and provides English instruction within the context of teaching students about life skills and American culture. Our curricular themes include health and nutrition, civics and community, and workplace and lifelong learning. The program strives to create a feeling of community within the classroom, where students from diverse backgrounds can work together in a supportive learning environment. Responsibilities include:
- Design lesson plans and instruct a group of 10-20 (sometimes more) students.
- Assess student progress in achieving curricular goals and improving life skills.
- Submit student attendance records.
- Attend an LCNV training and assist at the site registration at the beginning of the instructional session.
Each class site has a lead teacher and one or more volunteer class teachers (depending upon the number of students enrolled). Volunteers also serve as class aides. Volunteer class teachers work under the direction of the Faculty Support Manager with on-site support from the lead teacher at the specific site.
The James Lee Community Center classes are taught on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Currently, we are recruiting for:
- Morning session, from 10am-12pm
- Evening session from 6:30pm-8:30 pm.
Teachers are asked to commit to a full session of classes (12 weeks), but most stay for several semesters. In addition to class time, teachers typically spend 1-2 hours per class on lesson planning. Some additional time may be needed at the beginning and end of the session for meetings and administrative tasks.
Please take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to serve the immigrant community and make a difference in people's lives!
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours a week for 12 weeks (2.5 months)