POSITION: EMPLOYMENT WORKSHOP VOLUNTEER Location: 1834 Emerson Ave N. Closing Date: Until Filled
To develop, update, or review resumes with Emerge clients who may face multiple barriers to employment. Coach and train clients on how to develop and customize resumes for the future. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to: assisting clients in creating a resume from scratch, editing an existing resume, training clients how to create and edit resumes on their own, teaching the importance of resume customization for specific jobs, and assisting clients in submitting online job applications.
- Provide one-to-one assistance to participants
- Provide general assistance with computer basics, including, but not limited to: working with Word, e-mail accounts, and online job searches and applications
- Review personal information with clients and ask clarifying questions if adequate information is not provided
- Develop or update resumes to assist clients in successfully applying to and obtaining a job
- Other tasks as needed
- Familiarity and comfort with basic computer use as well as common online job application processes
- Proficient typing skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Ability to be patient with learners
- Ability to work well with others and communicate well with diverse participants and staff
- Prefer previous experience in writing resumes or working with resume or career development
- All volunteer applicants should submit a copy of their resume along with their application
Volunteers must be available for 2 hours from 1:00 - 3:00 pm on Tuesday afternoons. This position is a weekly on-going commitment, with a minimum commitment of at least 3 sessions. Anyone interested in serving 3 or less workshop sessions should contact the volunteer coordinator before applying to discuss volunteer opportunities in further detail.
All volunteers will be provided with a one-hour position orientation. Volunteers with little or no prior experience related to resume-writing will receive additional training.
Volunteers in this position will experience serving and coaching individuals with varying levels of both technology competency and job readiness. Volunteers will be working with diverse populations and will be given the chance to utilize and develop both their personal customer service and problem-solving skills. Volunteers may also, depending upon their prior expertise and skill level, gain knowledge on best resume-writing and editing practices.
This position will be supervised.
To apply, please fill out the Volunteer Application located at www.emerge-mn.org/volunteer and specify that you are applying for this position. Questions? Contact email@example.com or 612-787-3750.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2 hours per week for at least 3 weeks