Tutor an ESL student attending community college!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
59 people are interested
Upwards Scholars provides scholarships for talented ESL students so they can attend any of the three community colleges in the San Mateo Community College District (i.e., Cañada College, College of San Mateo, Skyline College). We are looking for tutors to work with our students on their ESL assignments. Most tutors meet with their students once a week to go over their class assignments and practice speaking English. Students and tutors work out a time and location that works for them both. Most often, students and tutors meet at the local City Library. This opportunity cannot be done remotely.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Upward Scholars
3481 Janice Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303, US
Upward Scholars empowers low income adults, mostly immigrants working minimum wage jobs, by providing them with financial support, tutoring, and other assistance so they can continue their education, get higher paying jobs, and serve as role models and advocates for their children.
SASS provides our scholarship recipients with the following:
- Textbooks, which can cost several hundred dollars a semester.
- Bus passes, which cost $320 a semester, for all students who need to take the bus to college.
- Tutors, by community volunteers who meet with students at a time and location that is convenient to the student and tutor.
- Laptops for students who need them.
- College advising to help students choose classes, resolve financial aid issues, and navigate the college bureaucracy. Silicon Valley Community Foundation makes this possible.
We also have a Conversation Club where students chat informally with community volunteers.
We'll work with your schedule.
Redwood City Library1044 Middlefield RoadRedwood City, CA 94063
- Adult Education
- General Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour a week across the 18 weeks in the semester.