Prevent Blindness Wisconsin’s Your Amazing Eyes (YAE) Library Reading Sessions include stories with age appropriate themes such as sight and seeing your world; why children wear glasses; and practicing eye safety.
YAE Volunteers will lead children in fun activities that will reinforce the above concepts and will support the development of the Six Skills for Early Literacy. After participating in YAE, volunteers will offer free preschool vision screenings to children in attendance. #CHC
- Deliver the Your Amazing Eyes curriculum at Milwaukee Public Library Preschool Story Time events.
- Conduct vision screenings for 3-5 year old children immediately following story time.
- Perform distance visual acuity screening using Prevent Blindness Wisconsin’s protocol.
- Complete required paperwork for the vision screening and submit to Prevent Blindness Wisconsin.
- Attend Your Amazing Eyes training through Prevent Blindness Wisconsin.
- Become a certified children’s vision screener through Prevent Blindness Wisconsin and renew certification every three years.
- Provide own transportation to library sites.
- Willing to commit to at least one Your Amazing Eyes event per month (2-4 hours).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have experience working with children ages 3-5.
- Current Children’s Vision Screener Certification through Prevent Blindness Wisconsin.
- Two or more years of preschool vision screening experience.
Volunteers Hours and Locations: Your Amazing Eyes events are held Monday through Friday between the hours of 10:00 am - 12:30 pm at library locations throughout the City of Milwaukee.
Application: If interested please contact Sarah Campbell, our Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 795-0505.
- Literacy / Reading
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Care
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training