Position Summary: This program provides volunteers an opportunity to assist individuals who have experienced domestic violence from a community based setting. Volunteers will offer victims of domestic violence emotional support and connect them to community resources during and following court proceedings at the Virginia Beach Juvenile Domestic Relations Court. The Court Companion Volunteer will report to the Lead Victim Advocate. Court Companions will schedule shifts with Lead Victim Advocate. A typical shift is from 8 AM till 1 PM Monday to Friday.
1. Provide individual crisis intervention, normalize victims’ emotions and provide support in a nonjudgmental and confidential environment.
2. Assess victims’ safety by completing lethality assessments and creating safety plans.
3. Provide victims with information about protection orders and the judicial process.
4. Asses for general needs including but not limited to legal referrals, basic needs such as clothing, food and shelter and connect to resources, trauma symptoms and provide referrals to a free counseling resource.
5. Work with allied professionals in non-profit and public agencies.
6. Empower people that have experienced violence to regain the control that was taken from them while enduring various forms of abuse.
1. Students who are currently studying criminal justice, counseling, humanities, human services, sociology, psychology, government, or a related field.
2. Current professionals or retired individuals who have education and/or experience working in criminal justice, counseling, human services, government, or a related field.
1. Volunteers that have an interest and passion in providing assistance to victims of violence from a trauma informed approach.
2. Volunteers that have the time and willingness to complete significant computer based and agency training.
3. It is strongly encouraged for volunteers to have experiences working with individuals in crisis.
4. Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
5. Ability to interact professionally with diverse communities with cultural competence.
6. Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently with excellent time management.
7. Ability to work independently and with others as a team.
- Crisis Counseling
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- We ask for a six month minimum commitment