Care for Children in a Safe-House in South Africa with BVOL
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Assist Carers in a local township to care for abused children of various ages, assisting in the soup kitchen, general caring for the youngsters, and observing counselling to HIV sufferers.
You'll help with basic Reading, Writing, Maths, play games with the children, help them with their homework and generally keep them stimulated and entertained by providing educational activities.
The type of work you'll do will depend to an extent on your own abilities and capabilities. Hours may vary, but generally Monday to Friday from 8am to 2.30pm but you can stay longer to assist with the Soup Kitchen. You'll have weekends free for any sightseeing or independent travel. You may also be asked to help with:
- Assisting with the preparation and handing out food
- Helping carers and caring for the children
- Helping the children eat.
- Helping carers and caring for the children.
- General cleaning of the Care Centre.
- Washing the children, and their clothes.Changing nappies
- Assisting with literacy and numeracy with the older children.
- Assisting with homework
Minimum Program duration is 1 week and up to 24 weeks, minimum age is 16. No qualifications necessary. Available all year round, subject to school vacations.
Program price ranges from $935 for 1 week and includes:
- Arranging your Programme,
- Full pre-departure support and assistance,
- Payment Protection insurance
- Food budget
- Meeting you at the nearest Airport
- Transfer to your accommodation
- Transport to and from your project
- Full pre-departure support
- Local in-country team support and backup
- 24-hr emergency support.
Accommodation is in our volunteer house, which is large and spacious with several verandahs, a courtyard and garden. Facilities include a kitchen kitted out for cooking, dining area, a few bathrooms, TV, DVD player, free Wi-Fi, garden and several wooden verandahs.
The sunset views from the top balcony of the house of the Knysna lagoon are beautiful and great way to relax after a day working at your placement or to catch up on your tan in the summer.
This is a very rewarding project and would suit anyone keen on Social Work, Teaching or Child Care.
As a result of your volunteer work, the Safe House, the Carers and the community benefit directly or indirectly:
- Get an opportunity to interact and learn foreign cultures
- Have access to your invaluable help and assistance
- Will improve their own traditional knowledge, skills and ideas on care work as these will be supplemented by any initiatives that you and other volunteers come up with
- The children have access to your love and care, and these are fundamental to their growth and development.
We'll work with your schedule.
Newton StreetKnysna, Western Cape 00000South Africa
- People 55+