We are seeking an intern to lead an investigation of traditional healing practices and herbal medicine of the Amazonian region of Peru.
The intern will work with traditional healers and specialists to gain an understanding of the role of traditional healing practices, including primary plant species and their uses.
This internship provides the opportunity to gain an understanding of traditional phytotherapy practices while helping to preserve the local knowledge of indigenous peoples. This work also seeks to highlight the importance of conserving the natural resources of the area by adding value to indigenous flora and fauna.
Identify primary medicinal plants of the upper and lower amazon region and understand their importance in traditional medicine
Establish working relationships with alternative healthcare providers and specialists
Obtain a holistic understanding of local shamanic healing traditions
Utilize varied primary and secondary sources to research important medicinal species and their uses
Conduct interviews and other data collection activities with traditional healers and healing centers (may involve travel to other towns in the region)
Catalog findings, including plants, their ecological and medicinal properties, natural habitat, cultivation, preparation, use, and cultural significance
Maintain and improve our medicinal plant database for organization and analysis of data
Work with our field team in the nursery and medicinal gardens
This internship is designed for undergraduate or graduate students majoring in the areas of Public Health, International Development, Social Work, International relations, Botany, Ecology, or other related fields. An intermediate level of Spanish, equivalent to four semesters of college level Spanish is required. Research experience is a plus and previous college-level coursework in Public Health is preferred.
October 1st - November 25th
January 6th - March 7th
March 10th - May 16th
June 17th - August 23rd
*Dates can be flexible according to interns’ needs.
8 weeks room and program fees...........$1600
10 weeks room and program fees............$2000
*Program fees include living accommodations. Travel expenses and food are not included.
Please send the following directly to our Program Manager, Lindsay McGeehon, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. A simple resume
2. Letter of intent (including which project you are applying for and why you want to intern)
3. Two references (email addresses are OK)If you are interested in working with us or have any questions about the internship program please send an email directly to email@example.com
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Conversational level of Spanish
- Organic Sustainable Agriculture...
- Social Entrepreneurship in the...
- Ethnobotany Internship in the...
- Agricultural Cooperative...
- Public Health Internship in the...
- Community Development in the...
- Public Health and Traditional...
- Forest Conservation in the...
- Social Impact Storytelling...
- Participatory Community...
- Sustainable Agricultural Design...