The Skills in Computers & Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program provides one-to-one tutoring for adults with low literacy skills, using the computer as a learning tool. (This is not an ESL program.) During class, each tutor helps their assigned learner build basic reading, writing, and computer literacy skills. No experience needed; tutor training is provided. Weekly customized lesson plans are provided for each tutor/learner pair by the class Intern. The semesters for the SCALE program are: class, each tutor helps their assigned learner build basic reading, writing, and computer literacy skills. No experience needed! Tutor training is provided, as are weekly, customized lesson plans. SPRING 2017 (Jan 23-May 12)
Training: 6-8pm Thu Jan 19 =SUMMER 2017 (June 5-Aug 18)
Training: 6-8pm Thu June 1 FALL 2017 (Sep 18-Dec 15)
Training: 6-8pm Thu Sept 14
- You must attend the scheduled Training session at Literacy Network before the semester begins; if you are unable to attend, please understand we give preference to applicants who are able to attend the scheduled training.
- Reliable transportation is required of all tutors. (If you are planning to take a bus to/from your tutoring sessions, please research your route ahead of time to be sure you understand the commute you are committing to.)
- You must attend EVERY WEEK during the semester; no more than two absences is permitted.
Volunteers tutor during the following sessions (classes); if a session for the semester you're applying is full, you will be added to the waiting list.
- (FULL FOR FALL 2016) Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- (FULL FOR FALL 2016) Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- (FULL FOR FALL 2016) Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- (FULL FOR FALL 2016) Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
Visit http://www.litnetwork.org/volunteers/forms.php?id=818&category_id=5364 to apply to tutor in our Basic Literacy tutoring program.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training