The Skills in Computers & Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program is a Adult Basic Literacy (ABE) program in which you sign up to tutor in a weekly 2-hour class for one semester, and the classes are focused on teaching basic computer and literacy skills (vocabulary, spelling, using email, filling out online forms, or basic Word/Excel formatting). Each class is made up of 8 tutor/student pairs, and we will try to match you with the same student the entire semester. Lesson plans are given to you at the beginning of class every week by the intern overseeing your class, who knows the learning level and personal goals of each of the students. The intern is also there to help you and your student if you have questions or get stuck! You don't need tutoring or teaching experience -just comfortable knowledge of basic computer practices, patience, kindness, and the ability to attend your class every week.
You can apply for any semester listed below; if a semester is full, you will be added to the wait list:FALL 2017 (Sep 18-Dec 15)
SPRING 2018 (Jan 22-May 12)
Training: 6-8pm Tue Jan 16 SUMMER 2018 (June 4-Aug 25)
Training: 6-8pm Tue May 29
- You must attend the scheduled Training session at Literacy Network before the semester begins; if you are unable to attend, please understand we give preference to applicants who are able to attend the scheduled training.
- Reliable transportation is required of all tutors. (If you are planning to take a bus to/from your tutoring sessions, please research your route ahead of time to be sure you understand the commute you are committing to.)
- You must attend EVERY WEEK during the semester; no more than two absences is permitted.
Volunteers tutor during the following classes; if a class for the semester you're applying is full, you will be added to the waiting list.
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
- Basic Computer Skills
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training