This volunteer position is responsible for assisting commissary staff in providing for the dietary health of the animal collection. Duties include, but are not limited to: diet preparation, cleaning dishes, and maintaining a safe and sanitary work space. Reading, studying, and learning about the nutritional needs of the species housed at Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens is required for this position. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential in order to communicate effectively with management, keepers, commissary staff, and fellow volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Daily preparation of all animal diets which include fruits and vegetables, grains, dry food, hay, insects, and raw meat.
- Assist with unloading of all deliveries.
- Maintain clean, orderly work spaces both within the animal commissary and outside food storage areas.
- Rotate food supplies, removing outdated or spoiled product.
- Understand proper use of cleaning solutions.
- Conduct educational or VIP tours of the animal commissary as needed.
- Knowledge of safety protocols, safety concerns, and reporting protocols.
- Observe safety policies and procedures in regards to the use of zoo’s equipment, materials, chemicals, and vehicles.
- Food & Beverage Services
- Animal Care / Handling
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 days per week
- May need to get a TB test and/or Tetanus shot