Grow fresh produce at Marra Farm for Seniors in South Park
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
15 people are interested
Work as part of a team of volunteers that maintain the South Park Senior Center raised beds at Solid Ground’s Giving Garden at the historic Marra Farm. Seeds, compost, assistance with watering and organic cultural techniques and support are provided by Solid Ground staff, SPSC volunteer gardeners work together to do the rest.
- Set up seeds in the enclosed garden at the Senior Center (Feb - April)
- Prepare and plant the raised beds, with assistance from Solid Ground farm staff and the SPSC Volunteer Garden Coordinator. (Feb - May)
- Water, weed and maintain the garden beds during the growing season. (March - Oct)
- Harvest the crops. (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)
Goals for this position:
Grow and harvest food in the SPSC raised bed that will go directly to the SPSC meals served each week. Only with the help of Solid Ground and community volunteers are we able to produce this healthy, fresh food. This urban farm is a prized resource for South Park and the South End community, providing over 22,000 pounds of fresh, locally, and organically produced vegetables, herbs and fruit for people in need and programs like SPSC.
- Gardening experience valuable, not required.
- Needs to be able to walk throughout the garden on unpaved paths
- Needs to be able to bend and lift 15 lbs. Solid Ground staff can help with heavy lifting if needed.
Hours and Duration of Position:
This position is looking for work groups of 2-3 people for 1-2 hours for Tuesdays, Fridays, & Saturdays between 10:00 am-2:00 pm when Marra Farms is open. This is a family friendly opportunity.
Benefits and Impacts:
- Feel good working as part of a team that is growing healthy, fresh food for the low cost meals offered at the South Park Senior Center.
- Gain experience growing food in raised beds with effective organic cultural techniques (haven’t you always wanted to be an organic farmer?).
- Learn about Marra Farm, the fabulous and historic urban farm located in South Park.
To Apply: Contact the SPSC Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
About South Park Senior Center:
The South Park Senior Center is a 501 (c) 3 organization that serves those 50 and older that live in King County. It is located in the South Park Neighborhood Center
Marra Farm Raised Beds - 9026 4th Ave SSeattle, WA 98108
- Environmental Education
- Elder care
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours on the days you choose to volunteer.