Legal Immigration Services Intern
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where2534 Judah StreetSan Francisco, CA 94122
The Legal Intern position is available to law students and recent law school graduates who want to gain "real-world" immigration law experience. The Legal Intern is responsible for the completion of immigration-related forms, and other tasks as assigned. The Legal Intern is expected to maintain agency standards at all times and should be prepared to fulfill a wide-range of agency goals in a challenging but satisfying work environment.
- Tracks the progress of individual cases and prepares case documents for filings, interviews, and hearings.
- Contacts USCIS Services Centers and District offices to follow up on the status of cases.
- Assists Émigré Department Representative with the preparation of medical waiver applications.
- Prepares letters, memos and other material for JFCS Émigré Department Representative.
- Responds to client inquiries and proactively informs clients regarding the current status of their cases - including, for example, the need for any additional documents or information under Representative’s direction.
- Other tasks as required.
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Enrolled in or has completed an ABA/CBA accredited law school.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences degree.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to issues regarding émigré resettlement and cross-cultural communications required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in order to handle multiple responsibilities.
- Fluency in Russian is preferred.
Description of JFCS’s Émigré Department
- Legal (General)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 to 25 hours a week
- Commitment of at least 4 months